Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield washer fluid hose on both my '98 and '02 cracked where it flexed from opening the hood. Symptoms were reduced flow until only a dribble was coming out of the nozzles. I originally looked at replacing it but soon realized that would be a lot of work as the hood blanket would need to come off and the other end of the hose goes into the fender well and to the washer pump. I then thought that perhaps I could splice in a new section of hose and tried to find a hose with the same diameter and some of those plastic hose connectors (barbs?) When I was unsuccessful at that I had an idea and asked the parts counter guy if he had any hose that fit over the washer hose. Turns out a 7/32" ID hose is exactly the right size to slide on over the old hose. I got appoximately one foot (at a cost of 65 cents) of hose, cut out the rotted area of the original hose (I needed to pull the hood blanket down a bit to get to solid hose on the hood side), put a little lubricant on the ends of the new hose (read "spit") and slid the new hose over the old hose about 1 inch on each end. The 7/32" hose fit nice and tight over the original hose, the washer now works great (instead of pumping fluid all over the engine compartment), doesn't leak at all and best of all it cost less than a buck to repair.

Reactions: BergerKing

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yep... that's been discussed at least three times now that I've seen (and I haven't been here long). What I did was took a small piece of the broken tubing (with the diameter still intact) into a parts store and they gave me rubber tubing that fit very snugly over the end. Spit's a good lube but I happened to use some hand soap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The windshield washer fluid hose on both my '98 and '02 cracked where it flexed from opening the hood. Symptoms were reduced flow until only a dribble was coming out of the nozzles. I originally looked at replacing it but soon realized that would be a lot of work as the hood blanket would need to come off and the other end of the hose goes into the fender well and to the washer pump. I then thought that perhaps I could splice in a new section of hose and tried to find a hose with the same diameter and some of those plastic hose connectors (barbs?) When I was unsuccessful at that I had an idea and asked the parts counter guy if he had any hose that fit over the washer hose. Turns out a 7/32" ID hose is exactly the right size to slide on over the old hose. I got appoximately one foot (at a cost of 65 cents) of hose, cut out the rotted area of the original hose (I needed to pull the hood blanket down a bit to get to solid hose on the hood side), put a little lubricant on the ends of the new hose (read "spit") and slid the new hose over the old hose about 1 inch on each end. The 7/32" hose fit nice and tight over the original hose, the washer now works great (instead of pumping fluid all over the engine compartment), doesn't leak at all and best of all it cost less than a buck to repair.
[/b]

Thanks. I paid almost $2.00 for 2 feet @ Autozone. I had to replace a long piece of bad material than you did. But I am estatic about the repair cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did same thing a few months ago. That hose
that goes up under the blanket from engine
dry rots badly.

I might have to get longer hose and loosen
up blanket on that side cause all that flex will
break spliced hose!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i just repaired mine yesterday! bought some hose on advanced auto parts and 4 connection parts.. works fine!
but there is still something wrong with the driver side outlet but i dont know how to get this big brown shield unter the hood off to check it out

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
i just repaired mine yesterday! bought some hose on advanced auto parts and 4 connection parts.. works fine!
but there is still something wrong with the driver side outlet but i dont know how to get this big brown shield unter the hood off to check it out [/b]
Just pull out all of the "push pin" type things.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> i just repaired mine yesterday! bought some hose on advanced auto parts and 4 connection parts.. works fine!
but there is still something wrong with the driver side outlet but i dont know how to get this big brown shield unter the hood off to check it out [/b]
Just pull out all of the "push pin" type things.
[/b][/quote]

I couldn't get those stupid things out. I tried prying them off with a screwdriver but it started tearing the blanket. I got it fixed though. I used a ton of teflon plumbing tape and duct tape at re-attached the broken section of hose. It still leaks a tiny bit but at least it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I decided to buy the replacement hose. I'm not sure how to disconnect the old hose on the engine compartment side. Are they all friction fit fittings or is some adhesive involved? It seemed to be a very secure joint.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I decided to buy the replacement hose. I'm not sure how to disconnect the old hose on the engine compartment side. Are they all friction fit fittings or is some adhesive involved? It seemed to be a very secure joint. [/b]
It's just a pull apart type deal.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I fixed my messy tape job by using this hose idea. It works so much better and it it isn't an eyesore under the hood like the teflon and duct tape idea I used at first.

But wow, the hose was so brittle, I ended up accidentally breaking a few more pieces off before I got the piece of vacuum hose fit over both ends. Do they just get that bad from dry rot or are they that brittle to begin with?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I fixed my messy tape job by using this hose idea. It works so much better and it it isn't an eyesore under the hood like the teflon and duct tape idea I used at first.

But wow, the hose was so brittle, I ended up accidentally breaking a few more pieces off before I got the piece of vacuum hose fit over both ends. Do they just get that bad from dry rot or are they that brittle to begin with? [/b]
The constant heating and cooling under the hood and age just make it that way. I just bought a new hose from ford for $15

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Yeah, it was only like 85 cents for a foot of hose from Advance Auto Parts. It's a very cheap repair. I just hope that more pieces don't break off. I don't wanna have to pull off the hood blanket to get to a broken end of hose.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Yeah, it was only like 85 cents for a foot of hose from Advance Auto Parts. It's a very cheap repair. I just hope that more pieces don't break off. I don't wanna have to pull off the hood blanket to get to a broken end of hose. [/b]
That's why I really didn't want to mess with it. The hose lasted for 7 years from Ford, so IMO, the $15 was worth not having to mess with it again for a while.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I don't wanna have to pull off the hood blanket to get to a broken end of hose.
[/b]
I still using the original hose a plastic pieces and under the hood of the SHO it gets terribly hot. But some things I have done to reduce under hood temps may have contributed to the OEM stuff still being good after many removals and reinstalls.

First I discarded the hood blanked. Only keeps heat in IMHO.

Second remove the weather seal at the back of the hood contact area.

Third removed the lower cowl on the drivers side and then blocked off the center so engine heat would not get to the cabin filter intake.

This along with some Jet Hot treating of the intake parts and removal of the EGR system keep the under hood temps manageable even in 100F temps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out why they used such brittle hose to begin with. I just happened to have a small piece of hose the perfect size last repair. I simply trimmed the two ends of the broken hose, slid them in the small piece (I used some lube called spa lube for gaskets to slide it in). This week it broke again but not where I made the last repair so I'm going to buy a longer piece of flexible hose in hopes it will last longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (JoeE @ Dec 28 2009, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=776092
I can't for the life of me figure out why they used such brittle hose to begin with. I just happened to have a small piece of hose the perfect size last repair. I simply trimmed the two ends of the broken hose, slid them in the small piece (I used some lube called spa lube for gaskets to slide it in). This week it broke again but not where I made the last repair so I'm going to buy a longer piece of flexible hose in hopes it will last longer.[/b]
I found the hose from the washer tank broken. Had the wife push the button and fluid was pumping on my engine. I have some hose to repair it, but I can't figure out where it connects to?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Shoz, can you elaborate on the location of the weather seal you took off of the hood? Is this piece attached to the hood itself? How big/long is it? How can I tell which exact piece this is?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
QUOTE (LCPLPunk @ Feb 16 2010, 05:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=786285
Shoz, can you elaborate on the location of the weather seal you took off of the hood? Is this piece attached to the hood itself? How big/long is it? How can I tell which exact piece this is?

Thanks![/b]

The piece runs the length along the back of the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem on my '98. Mine was in pieces. I found a good replacement part at a junkyard after going through about two dozen carcasses (or car cases). Probably somebody put a new one on that car. Then I couldn't figure out how to hook it up until today when I read these posts and took loose my hoodliner.

Thanks for your help, Taurus Club.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts