Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I press in my blinker for the windshield washer, it does not come on. The manual said the washer fuse is #23. I checked fuse #23 in my fuse box inside my car and the fuse appears to be good. Any more fuses that go to my windshield washer?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can you hear it running?

If so check the washer hose under the hood to see its cracked. Pretty common and cheap repair.

I'm not sure of any other fuses.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Other possibility is the switch itself. I have to press in on mine really hard, and even then it works when it wants to. DO the wipers move when you press the button? If not, then the switch is likely not telling the system to activate. The wipers should cycle 2 or 3 times after you release the button.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other possibility is the switch itself. I have to press in on mine really hard, and even then it works when it wants to. DO the wipers move when you press the button? If not, then the switch is likely not telling the system to activate. The wipers should cycle 2 or 3 times after you release the button.
[/b]

Yes, when I press the blinker in, the wipers cycle 3 or 4 times. I do not hear the motor, which is why I was hoping it was a fuse.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
619 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
pull the wiring to the motor and check it for voltage when the switch is pressed in (may need a helper). the pump/motor simply presses into the tank, and should be a simple swap once you get to it. here's the autozone part... http://www.autozone.com/R,1787681/vehicleI...oductDetail.htm
[/b]

Pump must be primed before installation
[/b]
hmm... how does one prime the pump?
[/b][/quote]

I just refill the tank and let it sit while putting the other parts back in place. Pump should be ready then. I've never had trouble with priming these, I think that part was generic instructions

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pull the wiring to the motor and check it for voltage when the switch is pressed in (may need a helper). the pump/motor simply presses into the tank, and should be a simple swap once you get to it. here's the autozone part... http://www.autozone.com/R,1787681/vehicleI...oductDetail.htm
[/b]
Link now goes to a Bosch platinum spark plug. That will look really funny hooked up to my windshield washer tank. Doubt it will work. :dunno:

Hint for anyone who comes along later looking for the windshield washer motor: look behind the passenger side blinker/parking light. It can be carefully accessed through there and it will probably help to peel back the fender's splash guard too.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It's probably the MFS. That's the most common failure i see - the switch fails and the washers don't work, even tho the wipers will come on. Sometimes you can get the washers to work by holding the button in and wiggling the switch. There are write-ups on how to clean the switch, so you can try that first. If that's a no-go, you probably need a new switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts