Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 SEL:
Fluid comes out fine from the right nozzle, but none front he center or left ones.

A few weeks ago it was weak from the two problems ones and now those are not supplying washer fluid at all.
I am assuming it is clogged nozzles but quite a coincidence that it happened to two simultaneously.

I have not had a chance to delve into it more to diagnose... might be a line that feeds these two that detached somehow.

Also, I am finding that these nozzles are a dealer item only... at $25 each!!!
Anyone know of a good Ford specific parts shop that I could try?

·
Registered
2013 SEL
447 Posts
Like you said look at the lines first. Maybe detached. Maybe clogged.

A very long time ago, I had a car with clogged nozzles. Don't know why, but I bought them into the house and boiled them for a while. Rinsed them out and they were good as new.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2010 SEL:
Fluid comes out fine from the right nozzle, but none front he center or left ones.

A few weeks ago it was weak from the two problems ones and now those are not supplying washer fluid at all.
I am assuming it is clogged nozzles but quite a coincidence that it happened to two simultaneously.

I have not had a chance to delve into it more to diagnose... might be a line that feeds these two that detached somehow.

Also, I am finding that these nozzles are a dealer item only... at $25 each!!!
Anyone know of a good Ford specific parts shop that I could try?
Another good trick is to use a clothes pin and poke through whatever crap is blocking the nozzle, just be sure to take them off the car first. I've heard soaking in vinager works good too. Honestly I could never get my Infinitis nozzles cleared, I tried to buy new ones but they were stupid expensive, $25 each doesn't sound too bad if you end up not being able to clear them out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update to the situation:
I disassembled the spray nozzles plumbing on Sunday. Ran a pin into the nozzle openings and soaked them in vinegar. Ran a straightened metal coat hanger through all the hoses and plastic connectors. All seemed clear. Reassembled all the components and returned to cowl.

Nozzles squirted fine, but were shooting low. There is really no adjustment to raise them as it is all fit to piece in place.
I ended up using 3 strips of black gorilla tape on the exposed surface of the cowl, inserted the nozzles and then trimmed the excess tape so that it looks factory. This was enough to raise the spray pattern just enough to hit the windshield properly.

Easy fix.

Commentary.... What is up with the nut holding the wiper arms in place! My truck has an easy system of raising the arms and pulling a detent tab in place to hold the spring up without needing a puller. It has a woodruff key of sorts to keep the wiper blade position intact.

I had a puller but this seems excessive in my opinion. Also- if one needs to do this removal, use a red marker to know where the lade position on the glass needs to be returned. I had some dust build-up on the glass to know position.

Also, take a quick picture of the pluming hoses and the various plastic connections, it makes the return much easier.
These plastic connections can be brittle if dry rot/ deteriorated. If the vehicle has a lot of outside exposure the chance of breaking on removal is increased. Be aware of this before disassembly.

thanks for the suggestions. This repair was about an hour and saved me $75 on new nozzle purchase.
It is an easy repair for the moderately mechanically inclined person... the puller is the right way to go even though there are other methods using an open end wrench and a hammer to break the tapered spline shaft. But this way does increase chance of accidentally breaking the windshield.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I got one at the dealer, later replaced several sets with pulls from LKQ parts yard. The counter man let me have them free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts