Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunatley the other da my g/f was driving my car on the interestate and a road construction crew were using equiptment on the side of the road, and the equiptment threw a rock and it hit my windshield. MY g/f not having any sense did not stop and inform the constuction people. I feel that if she did stop, then we could of had their insurance pay for a new winsheld.

The windhiels 1 large crack from the passenger side bottom edge all the way up and across to the location where the rear view mirror is.

Does anyone know of any products out there that actually work to fix a crack in the windsheild and stop it from spreading?

How much does it cost to get your winsheild replaced? My car insurance does not have glass coverage.

·
Registered
318 Posts
FWIW: The construction crew's insurance would probably contest repairing the windshield, even if they admitted to causing the flying rock.
Frankly, I think you're stuck for a new windshield, pal. Call around and see what the cost might be; ask your insurance agent who they use. Insurance companies are cost-conscious, so they'll know. You also might try asking a local auto-glass shop about installing a used windshield from a JY...
Labor on this is pretty dear.
Good luck!

G

·
I have a crack in my windshield about a foot and a half long. I used "Fix-a-crack" on it. It's made my the fix-a-flat people. It stopped the spreading and made it a little less noticable. I'm not sure if it would work on something that big, but it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Kinda weird your insurance comapany wont replace your glass. I was killing a fly in the honda and hit the glass too hard right over a spot where we had a chip from road debris. 2 Days later we had a new winshield, and no questions were asked. We would have had the crack glued, but it was longer than 6 inches.

Anyways...Car and Driver made a recommendation not to long ago to fix a crack in a VW Bug they were testing. Ill see if I can dig up the information for you.
A new winshield for the Honda would have run us well into the 600's to give you a rough idea.

*Addition*. I dont have the March 02 issue of Car and Driver, but according to the Road Test digest I found, they reviewed the Bug then. If its not in there, if someone with an issue older than 5/02 that has Road Test Digest could they look it up? It was a blue bettle they tested.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The windshield price will vary...depending on where you live and where you go. Going to your insurance is a good idea...but still price shop.

As far as labor, I live in a fairly small town and the going rate for windshield install is $45-$50. Not too bad. Also, if you get glass from a junk yard you have the possibility that the seals will be bad. I had that problem with a drivers door window for my Olds Cutlass.

Probably you're looking at around $400 or so. Windshield glass isn't as expensive as the other glass in the car.

The fix a crack stuff is alright, but if the crack is across the drivers side of the car (i don't remember from your post) then you may be breaking some state/city law.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would say that $400 would be a good estimate for a new windshield. When I replaced mine in my old Topaz, it was about $230, and that glass was very simple compared to the Taurus windshield. About the seals being bad...I'm not sure what you're talking about. When they install the new glass, or old glass for that matter, they take everything off, put nwe glue down, then reapply the molding that was originally on the car. There is nothing from old glass that would cause any problems with the seal. If you have the same type of car, it'll have the same size glass in it, and it'll fit in there the same way your original did. The problem would come if they ripped the molding when they removed it or if they didn't use the appropriate amount of glue when they put the new glass in.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Also, many people's insurance does not cover glass. I have the 100% top coverage that state farm offers, and it doesn't cover glass. It depends on state regulations, afaik.

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
It's not a state regulation, it's just how your insurance company handles windshields on their policies. I have had several different companies in several different states and it just depends on how your company choses to cover windshields. Some have no coverage at all for them, others they fall under your same comprehensive deductible (250-500 bucks for most people) and others have reduced deductibles for just windshields knowing that a new windshield will usually cost less then your $500 deductible and they want to be a good company and retain your business. My current company will even pay to have 3 dings or cracks repaired (if they can be) before they require a new windshield.

If you do feel like getting it repaired or replaced i'd suggest a company called Safelite Autoglass. I've had them repair two dings and replace one windshield. They will price match or lower their price to be as competitive as they can. They'll install/repair it all at your home or place of business and they offer a life time guarantee against defect (on new and repairs) and since they are nation wide you are good to go if traveling or moving.

But best to check with how your insurance company handles windshields to be sure before shelling out any cash yourself.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree with Hightech...Safelite is the way to go. They did my Topaz, and the thing looked great. I went to their business and had it done, because I needed it that day to get out of a ticket. They were done in like an hour and were knowledgable about cars. I stood there and talked to the two guys about cars for about 45 minutes after they were done with my car.

JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts