Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 Ford Taurus Wagon, 3.0... its already doomed till doom do us part...
:withstupid: I have an internal leak with the coolant, cracked head or almost cracked head, idk exactly, but many other things are wrong with the car so its not worth fixing. I just wanna make it last as long as possible in its condition...
I was wonderin if it would be bad to put "Premium" windsheild wash in it (which isnt spose to freeze as easily) instead of coolant cuz it goes thru Water right now like nothing steamin it away as i drive. so its NOT gunna last me for the winter but if it will power thru the beginning it would be nice... and windsheild wash is MUCH cheaper than coolant so maybe my engine intestines dont freeze the 1st time it goes below 30 degrees... HELP MAKE THIS A CHEAPER DOOMED VEHICLE FOR ME! temporarily of course!!:D:punchdoc:

·
Registered
93 Posts
thats a bad idea
its best if you fix the car, if you are certain its a cracked head, get a used one from a pick a part or ebay
may also just be a head gasket

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why don't you try this? It is steel seal.

Don't have any experience but I've thought about using it before. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
try to stay away from that pour in stuff it can do more harm than good, it can clog your radiator, thermostat, or your engines cooling paths

·
Registered
47 Posts
That stuff doesn't have particulate like some of the stuff. Might be worth a try if it doesn't work they'll give you your money back.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my car is on its death bed.... theres many things wrong so its worth more to be junked than a car or even for parts... i jus wanna kno if my car will start on fire or sumtin if i do that...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Coolant is not only anti-freeze, it is also anti-boil. Alcohol (such as washer fluid) will resist freezing but will not resist boiling. As others have suggested, if the car is really on its death bed, you might try a stop-leak additive (NOT recommended for cars that are going to be repaired, because you run the risk of clogging something).

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
As stated because I have personally seen someone do this and it ended up in the shop I was working at with a severe overheating problem. Washer fluid is a no no.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coolant is not only anti-freeze, it is also anti-boil. Alcohol (such as washer fluid) will resist freezing but will not resist boiling. As others have suggested, if the car is really on its death bed, you might try a stop-leak additive (NOT recommended for cars that are going to be repaired, because you run the risk of clogging something).
yea my coolant system and radiator are so caked with stop leak crap from the owner who had it 3 1/2 yrs ago b4 me n my dad that wen i recently had it professionally flushed they let it sit for an hour n 15 mins n it STILL wasnt all coming out. all that stuff seem to do was slow the leak i guess cuz i was still losing enough coolant b4 that I started puttin water in it, but it was NOT asbad as it is now...

·
Registered
93 Posts
so your best bet is to replace the cracked head. and flush the engine and radiator a few times until most of that stuff is gone, or else you'll have bigger problems in your hands

·
Registered
76 Posts
Like Mentioned above Washer fluid will not freeze, at least until minus 40, but it will boil for sure. With the contents in it, it also has the potential to ignite and light on fire, so I wouldn't try it in the coolant tank, Not unless you want a sensational 4th of July extravaganza from under the hood of your Taurus

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
If it's still above freezing topping up with plain water (distilled) would be a better idea than windshield fluid. Washer fluid uses methanol as the freezing point depressant. Methanol is flammable BTW. If it were used as coolant in a hot engine, the methanol would vaporize faster than the water and you would loose your freezing protection rather quickly and have a flammable gas in the coolant bottle. Plus the methanol mixture would boil at a lower temperature than both plain water and 50% antifreeze.

Antifreeze is cheap enough as it is (much less than a tank of gas), so there's really no reason for not using if you want your car to work. If you really had to stretch it, you could get by with a 40% or maybe 35% antifreeze solution depending on where you live. The best course of action would be to find and fix the leak, but if you can't afford to do that you should use a sealant (e.g. steel seal) to stop or slow down the leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts