Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these laptop computers. They're used for special applications for visitors and need to remain on throught the day even though they may not be used. We don't want any screen saver, power save, or hibernation to kick in and confuse people while they're using the machines (or perhaps more acuratly, while they're NOT using the machines). I've changed the power scheme to "Presentation" in my admin setup in the Desktop>Screen Savers>Power menu and I used RegEdit to set CurrentPowerPolicy for all users and the "default user" to 2 (which corrisponds to "Presenation mode", but for some reason the machines are still entering power save mode and blanking the screen. Left long enough they even go into hibernation and you have to hit the power button to bring them back on again. Hibernate is off for my admin user and was off by default. I can't check from a regular user account because "Access is Denid" to that tab as a regular user.

What's turning off my displays and how the heck can I turn if off for good? This has me stumped. These are all Dell Latitude D600's running Windows 2000 SP4 if it matters.

-frustrated.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Did you go to the Control panel and in that same window you said presentation, just make a custom one. Turn all that stuff off, make sure all other corresponding tabs have their power saving features off. Also do the right click on the desktop, say properties. Go over to the screen saver tab and turn it to <none>. IS there some special software Dell has on there? Do you use a Power Cord?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Mar 9 2004, 03:17 PM
Did you go to the Control panel and in that same window you said presentation, just make a custom one. Turn all that stuff off, make sure all other corresponding tabs have their power saving features off. Also do the right click on the desktop, say properties. Go over to the screen saver tab and turn it to <none>. IS there some special software Dell has on there? Do you use a Power Cord?
That's what I did in my Dell; no need to screw around with the registry. I'm just wondering if his "admin setup" doesn't offer that option; maybe it has a different interface.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I see also u got Win 2K SP4...isnt there an SP5 out?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Could be your BIOS settings. Right after starting up, enter the SETUP (usually by pushing F1 or TAB or CTRL-S or whatever the screen prompt says.) There should be an option in the BIOS setup to use different power management settings. By default the BIOS uses the most conservative settings. The Windows settings can't really override the BIOS except to shut down the display when BIOS leaves it on, not the other way around. Make sense?

Of course, that's just one option. I would mess around with Control Panel first, since those settings are generally less likely to screw stuff up, and the info is more universal to different machines, hardware, and OEMs.

Forgot to mention, I'm not a Windows Guru. If you call me that, I'll slap a libel lawsuit on you so fast your head will spin.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want any Labial Lawsuits

But I'm a Sys Admin by nature. I the the problem I'm having is rooted in that the power settings in windows is on a per-user basis, but a user will anything less then Power User privlages can't change the power setting (Good thinking Microsoft
). I mean I guess I could make the user an administrator temporarily to change the power setting and then change it back, but I do have around 65 laptops to administer.

I am using power cords as these laptops are not portable. They're only laptops for the form factor (need to be able to stow the machines out of the way when not in use).

I did find although Windows doesn't allow users to change the power settings through the control panel, a user can change thier personal power settings by editing the registery directy. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg key value CurrentPowerPolicy. This is a number corresponding to which option is selected from the list of options in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies. In Windows 2000 and Windows XP, 2 should be 'Presentation', which by default should have all options set to 'Never' while the laptop is on wall power.

The strange thing is even with this set, I left the machines on for a while and when I came back, they were actually in like Hibernation mode or something. I hit the power button to bring them back up, and was being prompted for a password to unlock the screen. Screen Saver is set to None by default. I didn't see anything that looked like power setting in the Dell BIOS. It made sence for me to check there, so I did. The only thing I saw was the current battery levels.

Well, since these are brand new machines, maybe I could just call dell for help on this and get an answer from Dell technical support. I certainly haven't found any information on google pertaining to changing the power settings for all users on a system.

-Dan

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am pretty sure Win2k has the same Control Panel "Power Options" menu as XP's. I have several IBM Thinkpads at home. This is the setting I use to make sure they NEVER go to sleep mode or hiberation. It should have the same looking menu for a Dell laptop running 2K/XP.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Mar 9 2004, 09:51 PM
It is probably a BIOS setting. If you have made the changes in Windows, then check the BIOS.
The "Presentation Mode" still has the auto-standby and monitor-off options on. If everything is manually set to "Never," then the probably is most likely in the BIOS.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't find anything in the BIOS. I will most likely check again. I think Dell has a tendency to hide features in the bios because I've seen different BIOS versions on the same system allow you to change different stuff.

I believe that the Control Panel> Power Settings is the same as Right Click> Properties>Screen Saver>Power. I can change it here to test it, but I believe this is a per-user setting, so I'd have to somehow change it for every user.

I haven't tried a custom configuration yet, because in all honesty, I'm not sure how I'd distribute that to all the clients.

If you Select 'Presentation' from the dropdown list though, you should get all the same 'Never' options that civicex is showing above for the the "Plugged In" column. Since these laptops will never run off batteries, I'm not worried about the battery settings.

It would seem to me someone would have made a Tweek tool that allowed you to change the power settings for all users or something.

Oh, also, under administrator, I looked at the "hibernate" tab and the Hibernate option is unchecked. I assume it's the same for the other users, though IIRC, I couldn't even view that tab as a non-privlaged user.

-Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts