Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on my girlfriend's '01 Taurus.

It seems like no matter how hard you blast the defrost (yes the a/c works), you can never get all the windows to clear up from being foggy. The front window kinda mostly clears up, none of the back windows ever unfog, and the front driver and passenger window are almost all the way covered. I know there is water in the spare tire holder. This fog is in the inside. It actually has frost some mornings inside instead of out. Could this be causing the inside to be humid from the trunk water? Or is there something else I need to look for?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did some searching and before you ask it is not snow being tracked in the car. It will do this on days with no snow. Its just when its really cold out.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Is your heat REALLY hot? Or just warm? A good heating system on a Taurus should be hotter than you can stand on full-blast, hot enough to clear the windows and keep the cabin dry, even with some snow getting tracked inside. Unless your heater core is partially clogged. If it is good, I would look at getting the trunk dried out...

·
Registered
128 Posts
put a couple small holes with a drill in the plastic cover under the spare tire....the water will just flow out. Unless you have a major leak, which should get properly fixed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your heat REALLY hot? Or just warm? A good heating system on a Taurus should be hotter than you can stand on full-blast, hot enough to clear the windows and keep the cabin dry, even with some snow getting tracked inside. Unless your heater core is partially clogged. If it is good, I would look at getting the trunk dried out...
I mean I don't think it ever gets hot enough to run you out. Full blast for 20 minutes does nothing.

put a couple small holes with a drill in the plastic cover under the spare tire....the water will just flow out. Unless you have a major leak, which should get properly fixed.
I thought about putting a hole in it. I haven't looked at it real good yet but don't I have to be careful in not hitting the gas tank?

·
Registered
128 Posts
the plastic cover under the spare is a tiny 2X4 piece of black plastic that can be removed by hand. If you take it out you will see the ground. Just drill a couple of small holes through it and no water will sit there anymore, as long as it is a small leak and you can't find the source. Otherwise I'd fix the leak.
Also, the heat on the max temp and lowest fan speed in my car will make you sweat in less than 5 mins. If you're on full blast and can stand it, your cooling system needs urgent attention.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Time for a clinton flush...the heat in my '97 would drive out my wife who keeps the thermostat in the house set to 80*.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I mean I don't think it ever gets hot enough to run you out. Full blast for 20 minutes does nothing.

I thought about putting a hole in it. I haven't looked at it real good yet but don't I have to be careful in not hitting the gas tank?
Fuel tank is not under the spare tire well, it's ahead of it, more like under the rear seat...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, well that makes it easy then. I didn't know.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I'd check for factory drain plugs before drilling, your evap canister is under the spare well, depending on year and model. You'll get a CEL if you drill a hole into it...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Haha, got ya. I will be careful. I am gonna check it out real good when I get home for break. I'm just busy with finals. I just want to figure why the windows are so covered up cause its more of a safety issue since you cant see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts