Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done installing Windows 7, and I'm impressed...
Looks a little like a cross between Server 2008 and Vista, with a bunch of changes. It is much, MUCH more nimble and streamlined than vista basic, using only ~800MB of ram (Which is still crazy compared to XP) and there is less "Hold My Hand" popups, less retarded issues, ect.
Running on a Opteron 170 2.0GHZ (Back to stock clocks just in case) and 2 gigs of ram.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just got done installing Windows 7, and I'm impressed...
Looks a little like a cross between Server 2008 and Vista, with a bunch of changes. It is much, MUCH more nimble and streamlined than vista basic, using only ~800MB of ram (Which is still crazy compared to XP) and there is less "Hold My Hand" popups, less retarded issues, ect.
Running on a Opteron 170 2.0GHZ (Back to stock clocks just in case) and 2 gigs of ram.
[/b]
ummm i run vista premium and it only uses 700 megs of ram on my system.......

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, My computer science teacher has vista ultimate running and it uses like 1.1 gigs idling.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am just upset about the fact that XP lasted a whole 4 years before Vista came out. Now in less than a year Windows 7 is coming out. So I spent $$$ on this expensive system. I wonder if us Vista users will get a helping hand to Windows 7....... Who knows

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
ummmm windows xp came out late 2001..vista came out early 2007. Thats 5 years...the majority of m$ products have 10 years of support I believe...5 years of mainstream support and 5 years of extended. Now you talk about a os that had a short shelf life...that god awful os known to men as windows me

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I used to run Vista Ultimate SP1 on this Dell laptop, it used about 300 MB at idle...

Yalls need to learn about Optimizations :D

I am trying to download Win7, but it keeps timing out.

Piece of **** :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I wouldn't expect windows 7 to be released until 2010. I know they're shooting for mid summer, but after the vista fiasco, they may step back and think about things.

Trainguy: since Vista will be 3 years old by the time Windows 7 likely comes out, you can't expect a free or reduced upgrade. Software goes through lifecycles. Mac OS's last much less than 3-5 years, closer to 1 year.

To compare windows 7 to vista: I have a little MSI Wind netbook. For those who don't know, they are underpowered little notebook computers that are only about 10 inches across. Anyway, I got Vista shoe-horned onto it and reduced to about 300mb ram usage. With no tweaking at all, Windows 7 on the same system uses about 400mb and everything runs at least twice as fast. I think Micro$oft might have actually built something decent here.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I wouldn't expect windows 7 to be released until 2010. I know they're shooting for mid summer, but after the vista fiasco, they may step back and think about things.

Trainguy: since Vista will be 3 years old by the time Windows 7 likely comes out, you can't expect a free or reduced upgrade. Software goes through lifecycles. Mac OS's last much less than 3-5 years, closer to 1 year.
[/b]
plus even if there is a new version, the old version can be used for years. Think of how many people did (and still use) an os like 2000. I liked 2000 a lot, and I didn't like xp when it first came out....so I used 2k until about 2005.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fresh XP Vs Fresh Windows 7, XP is only a few seconds faster, and 7 loads up MUCH faster than my normal XP boot, granted it doesn't have a ton of **** like AV and open office to load.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Looks like I've found my new OS when I get around to building my new desktop. B)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I downloaded 7 yesterday, and I'm going to try to get it installed on my test machine at work today. We'll see if I have time...

I do have to skip out of work at 2 PM today to...buy a car...

JR

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. I'm running OSX on my MacBook now and have been running a virtual machine of WinXP, SuSe, and Ubuntu. I download Win7 over the weekend and got it running on a virtual machine. I'm using 65% of my RAM dedicated to the machine, but it's running beautifully: I'm definitely liking it better than Vista but there are a few bugs yet that still need to be worked out: nothing horrible though and it is a Beta version

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Windows 7 Beta = downloading now.

If I like it better than Vista I'll consider it a success :D

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I haven't shopped notebooks in a while so I can't say much for now, but when I bought my MacBook 3 years ago, similar laptops with similar if not identical specifications were hovering around the MacBook's price (about +/- $150)...it's not extremely over-priced as some people make it out to be: it's just you have more options on other lower laptops standards on the Macs.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I haven't shopped notebooks in a while so I can't say much for now, but when I bought my MacBook 3 years ago, similar laptops with similar if not identical specifications were hovering around the MacBook's price (about +/- $150)...it's not extremely over-priced as some people make it out to be: it's just you have more options on other lower laptops standards on the Macs.
[/b]
The gap is quite a bit larger now. For example, a 15" macbook pro costs around $2000. A 15" Dell studio with equal specs costs around $1000. A higher end 16" Studio XPS costs $1200 and beats all specs on the Macbook.

It gets worse with desktop systems. They're great computers, good quality usually, I just can't justify the price.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
The gap is quite a bit larger now. For example, a 15" macbook pro costs around $2000. A 15" Dell studio with equal specs costs around $1000. A higher end 16" Studio XPS costs $1200 and beats all specs on the Macbook.

It gets worse with desktop systems. They're great computers, good quality usually, I just can't justify the price.
[/b][/quote]

Not unless you need a dual quad-core xenon processor with 16GB of RAM, 4 graphic cards, 2 30" LCD monitors, and >1TB of HD space

1 - 20 of 39 Posts