Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the forecast for the next few days is edging near 100 degrees, with unbearable humidity, I have considered tinting a bit more for my Malibu. I have called up this local place called Solar Eclipse, which I think might be a chain. They are running a "special" right now. $150 for entry level Madico tint, $225 for their 3M tint, and everything above that price won't be considered. What is everyone's opinion on this price and product? Is the 3M a good tint? I read that it is carbon injected rather than just dye so it shouldn't fade?

Also, my radio antenna is on the rear glass, which I know metal tint would affect. Is the 3M metallic?

Finally, the legal limit here is 32% all around. Does anyone have that on their car, and if so can you post a picture?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

That's 35% all around just to give you an idea how dark it will look on a black car. I paid $75, but my grandparents had at least 6 cars done at the place and gave me a good price. I can't comment on the Madico tint, but if you can go for the 3M pricing, go for it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks really about perfect for me. My night vision admittedly isn't the best. How is it seeing through that at night?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
It's something you get used to pretty quick. I had it done on my '97 and '00 the same percentage with no problems. I've only had one cop give me a hard time about it. Sadly, he was more concerned about where my car was registered to "hassle" me for my tint than the accident scene he was working.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
My car has 35% if that helps any.

I would stick to brand name tint, such as HuberOptic, 3M, FormulaONE, etc. Many of these offer a lifetime warranty. I have ceramic tint on my car, to allow radio waves/signals to pass through the glass. I had read that regular metallic tint restricts it or distorts it??? If I find a decent link about it, I'll edit my post.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
I have no idea what brand it is/was, but my Mustang is 5% all the way around. I paid $160 installed when I got the car almost three years ago. It's held up very well overall.

The only complaint I have is that there are a few 'streak' marks (only visible on the inside, in the sun) that seem to have been caused by rogue materials getting in/around the window seals. Not really a big deal though.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jun 18 2009, 06:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733411
My car has 35% if that helps any.

I would stick to brand name tint, such as HuberOptic, 3M, FormulaONE, etc. Many of these offer a lifetime warranty. I have ceramic tint on my car, to allow radio waves/signals to pass through the glass. I had read that regular metallic tint restricts it or distorts it??? If I find a decent link about it, I'll edit my post.[/b]
Wow, I never thought to ask you what % tint yours was. That helps a lot, having driven your car that helps knowing about how dark it will be. It was fairly overcast that day, right? It seemed kind of dark, but oyu also have a dark interior. It seems about perfect for me.

I'm kind of set on the 3M. I need to find out if it is metallic or not. This tint shop also has a coupon for $20 off on their website that I have to find out if they will take (since they said this was a special offer and the coupon says not to be combined with other offers :blink: )

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (RoGuE @ Jun 18 2009, 10:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733459
Wow, I never thought to ask you what % tint yours was. That helps a lot, having driven your car that helps knowing about how dark it will be. It was fairly overcast that day, right? It seemed kind of dark, but oyu also have a dark interior. It seems about perfect for me.

I'm kind of set on the 3M. I need to find out if it is metallic or not. This tint shop also has a coupon for $20 off on their website that I have to find out if they will take (since they said this was a special offer and the coupon says not to be combined with other offers :blink: )[/b]
It was definitely overcast that day. Post some pictures when you get the tint job done B)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it tinted. The pictures kind of suck because I rushed to take them and it was cloudy. I'll take better ones some other time.

Llumar ATC 35%

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Nice Jonathan :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Very nice! :thumb: I've been thinking about tint for my Focus...thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It definitely cuts down on the heat. After work I got in my car (also had a sunshade up) and it was much cooler than usual, still hot though but that's a black car for you. Driving home it usually gets pretty warm on my arms from the sun coming in the side but it felt nice and cool with the A/C running. Definitely worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts