Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Window Tint

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Twilight 
G
#1 ·
I plan on tinting my windows on the car with the tint you buy at walmart or where-ever. But what kind is best and looks the best on a white gen 2. I like the silver/chrome because I believe it would be the hardest to see through from outside for certain purposes (you figure it out). But also what is basicly the limit where I wont get a ticket in Atlanta Georgia. So anyone from down here some input eh?

#2 ·
I think tint laws are pretty universal...

here in wisconsin... no reflective tint allowed...and heres the percentages..

front windows: 50% or lighter
back windows: 30% or lighter
rear window: any
front window: none

THese rules are here to protect the cops who cant see if a guy in a car has a weapon etc...

I plan on putting on 50% all around my car.... so it wont look funny

and, i had 30% on my grand am...and it was hard to see through at night during some dark nights..so im sure 50 will be cool...but where to buy where to buy (hard to find).

#4 ·
No tint laws are not universal at all. In fact they are very differnt. Like here in Missouri I can have:

Front:NONE
Front windows:35% or lighter
Back Windows:ANY
Rear:ANY

#5 ·
here in NC the laws are as follows:

on a car you may have 35% on all windows except the front widshield

on a truck or SUV you can have 35% on the driver and passenger windows, 0% on all the rear windows(including the rear widshield), and nothing on the front widshield.

if my memory serves me correctly, i believe the Ga laws are pretty similar to ours. if you go to a local tint shop they can tell you exactly what the law is.

#6 ·
Check out this web site.
Garage ]TintDude.Com[/URL]

Also, these cars are very difficult to tint for the average DIY. The rear glass is a pain and must be shunk to curve with the glass. There are many, many tricks that you will see on the website. But unless you have delt with window tint before I wouldn't recomend starting with a Taurus. About 10 years ago I tinted my Dodge Dakota, wasn't to bad a job and that was on strait glass. This is why I spent $250 for my tint. Think about it, you will be putting on 7 different pieces of film that have to be cut with a razor to the exact shape of your window. And you will be sitting upside-down in your back seat for at least an hour trying to get the film on just right. I would love to argue that the guy that did mine is one of the best in Florida. He spent a mere 4 1/2 hours on my car with no breaks. Some companies only spend 30 minutes on a car. You get what you pay for in the tint business. Do yourself a favor and save up the extra $100 for a few months and get it done at least half-way decent. If you tint your own windows, be extreamly careful on the back glass, as it is a few grand to replace.

As far as tint laws go, every state is different.
Tint Laws - by state

#8 ·
Originally posted by 96Sleeper@Jan 3 2004, 11:23 PM
No tint laws are not universal at all. In fact they are very differnt. Like here in Missouri I can have:

Front:NONE
Front windows:35% or lighter
Back Windows:ANY
Rear:ANY
I guess i should of been more specific when i said universal, i was refering to how the front windows are usually more restricted than the rear, and back window..that is all
sorry

#10 ·
Call a local shop and ask. I know that here, a Gen III rear winshield and both rear side windows is $120, no matter what percentage of tint you want. Just to give you a ballpark figure.

#11 ·
The prices are anywhere from $50-maybe $250 or so. Don't ever pay less than $150 on a Taurus. I paid 250 which is the highest I have heard of, but I love the guys work and it was my 4 vehicles done by him. The price varies by the quality of workmanship. In a Taurus for the film to be installed correctly, the window trim must be removed and then put back on after the car is tinted. For the rear window, if you don't want that ugly cut out line for the third brake light, parts will have to be removed and then replaced after the tint is installed. On my 2000 SEL my installer took out the entire rear deck, on the 2003 the third brake light simly lifts off. Film is relatively inexpesive and the price does not change much on different darknesses. Most film manufactures have several lines of quality. If you plan on keeping your car for a few more years always opt for at least a 5 year warrenty. Always choose a metalized film if you want to reflect the most heat and UVA/UVB rays.
Remember you are hiring an artist and you shouldn't be afraid to ask for an example of their work.

G
#12 ·
Originally posted by 94TaurusGT@Jan 5 2004, 05:28 PM
Alright thanx. BTW how much does a professional job cost just for figures.
There is a local place by me (www.customtints.com) and the guy quoted me $150 to do all my side windows and rear to whatever the legal limit is for Ohio. I've seen a few other people's cars that he has done (one two years after he did it) and they all looked really good.

#15 ·
Just make sure that they tint the side windows within 1/16 inch from the top of the glass. This makes it so you don't see the ugly line on the edge of the glass. Also, ask if they can look at the car 3-5 days later and push down the tint on the dot matrix. It can come off some on the rear glass and the small back windows and will look white if not pushed down.

#16 ·
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Jan 5 2004, 07:43 PM
Remember you are hiring an artist and you shouldn't be afraid to ask for an example of their work.
Damn straight. anybody that has a bit of talent or skill should be able to give you a good example of what they can do.

I paid @ $100 for all my windows, fronts, 35%; rears, 20%. It's been on for about 2 years now, and still looks good, no purpling or raising.

Do-it-yourself tint looks exactly like that. Don't waste the dough.

#17 ·
One shop here in st. louis quoted me 295 if they remove the window trim and door panels and rear deck. 265 if I did it.

I took it to another shop and got the entire vehicle done for 225. without removing the window trim and door panels. This guy is good (better be after doing it for 12 years).

18% windshield "eyebrow"
18% on the front doors
3% on all of the back (2 layers of 18%)

Film is Llumar Formula One Ultra ( the black, not the grey)

I guess the point of this is that it can be done on a 3g without pulling the trim. Make sure that the felt on the trim is clean (no hair, etc) and then he put tape over the trim. It worked great. No problems in the 6 months that it has been done.

#18 ·
Putting tape on the felt is fine, but it is simply faster to just take the trim off. And damn No-Sho how do you see thru your rear window? I have 5% on mine and I can't make out who is behind me. I have to use the side mirrors to see if there is a cop behind me or not, so I know how fast to take off at a light. It was very hard to do this at first, but now it is a habbit to use the side mirrors instead of the rear-view mirror. In the rear-view mirror all I see are shapes
Is this the reason it is illegal?

#19 ·
I was quoted $190 CDN (about $145 US) for the whole car, this was from a very reputable shop that has been around since I was in diapers and has done millions of cars. It doesn't have to cost a fortune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.