Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, lately i've been having to really fight with the window switch to get the windows to roll down. They roll down or up at random when i push the buttons, and usually they just don't respond. Does anyone have an idea what the hell is going on?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
One of my bronco's used to do that. I first greased the tracks and gears and that seemed to fix it for a while but them about a half a year later i ended up having to replace the window lift motor. It seems the greasing the tracks help to ease the load on the already failing motor and cause it to last a bit longer. Yeah i know not a taurus but still similar situation. :)

When you have the door panel off make sure to check the connections for the window switch.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced the drivers side window motor because it really went, Those Ford ******** charged me $250. I probably coulda did it myself. But i don't want to replace all the window motors. I hope thats not it.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Yeah you could have probably have done it for much less yourself. I'd always check your chiltons/haynes and see how hard it is before you decide to have someone else do it. ;) Good luck, hope it not the motor also.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it could have something to do with realys or something, because i can get thje windows to work sometimes, i guess it just depends on what time of day it is.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Try cleaning the contacts on the window switches. Pull off the harnesses and wipe everything down with a cotton swap and some alcohol. They might just have bad connections.

JR

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Aug 11 2004, 10:02 PM
I just replaced the drivers side window motor because it really went, Those Ford ******** charged me $250. I probably coulda did it myself. But i don't want to replace all the window motors. I hope thats not it.
"********" thats the right word for them I have been looking for. :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't see why you guys need to be so critical of the dealerships. They're a business, and they're in the game to make money. They operate the same way you would if you were in their shoes, because their goal is to make money, and they do it by providing a service. Give them a break, and try to think twice the next time you want to call them a$$holes. They do their job the same way you do yours.

JR

·
Registered
478 Posts
when mine started doing tha,t i just jiggled the switch fairly hard, and it seemed to fix the problem. Did this 5 months ago, and it fixed the problem so far(knock on wood)....and im with godspunk32 on his views on the a$$holes comment

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
No, I just understand that businesses are in the business of making money. If people could do all the work themselves, the businesses wouldn't be able to charge what they do. Because most people can't do their own work, they are able to charge market rates for labor. It's not as if you were being ripped off. You got what you paid for. If you didn't want to pay for it, you didn't have to go to the dealership. To call them a$$holes makes you sound like you're ten years old...just try to see it from the businesses perspective. If people like you didn't need people like them to do the work, then they wouldn't exist, or they wouldn't charge as much as they do. It's simple economics...if a market will support a certain cost for a product or service, then that cost will become the equilibrium point for that product or service. If people stop using that product or service at that price, the price will go down, and reach a new equilibrium point, and vice versus.

JR

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
That sucks you got charged that much. I would have purchased the part and brought it to a local mechanic. When my window motor failed in my first car (91 t-bird) I brought the car to him and he replaced the motor. He charged me about $150 for everything, and it worked till the day I got rid of the car a few years ago.

Solution: Avoid the dealer unless its absolutely necessary to bring the car there. I have found that a trusted mechanic can do the work just as well if not better, they get it right the first time, and they generally charge alot less. Plus you are helping out the little guys, which is always good.

-Damon

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealership quoted $1500 worth of repairs for a damn window motor, i asked them how a window would cost $1500 and the got amnesia about that and said it would ONLY be $250. I call that assholism. They try to tell me that things that were just recently replaced needed to be replaced. But its just economy. As long as i'm dumb enough to say ok and pay they will charge me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 12 2004, 12:40 PM
I don't see why you guys need to be so critical of the dealerships. They're a business, and they're in the game to make money. They operate the same way you would if you were in their shoes, because their goal is to make money, and they do it by providing a service. Give them a break, and try to think twice the next time you want to call them a$$holes. They do their job the same way you do yours.

JR
I don't have anything aginst dealers. I go to my dealer for almost everything. I just never heard that as a term for them.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Aug 13 2004, 04:08 PM
I cleaned the contacts and that solved the problem. Thanks
Cool, glad to hear it was something simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I am having a similar problem as the poster of this original thread my windows don't seem to work, at first it had slow reaction, but now they don't work at all. This is for all the windows and all the buttons (master on drivers door, and all other single buttons on other doors).

It sounds like the solutions that were brought up were all for just one window malfunction, could there be a reason for all the windows to break at the same time?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts