Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 LX. The window lock function broke and only the driver can power down the windows. I'm assuming the selector switch is broken. How hard is it to take the door skin off and replace the switch? I don't know how much $ the new switch is from Ford, maybe I could get one out of a junker?

·
Registered
397 Posts
it is an easy job, not complex, more of a pain in the a** than anything.

there are some plastic tabs holding the door trim in place, be ready to buy some new ones, the old ones don't hold well once ripped out.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
i would buy the clips at ford tho the ones u buy at an auto store usually comes with assorted and not the ones you will ever ....

·
Registered
901 Posts
there are some tabs holding the door panel on and mabey a couple screws in the panel. remove the screws and start pulling on the panel. The panel should come loose. Then I belive the part you need is just pluged in by a wiring harness. A true plug and play part. The part should be fairly reasonably priced at a junkyard. If its not that it could only be a fault in the wiring. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Buying the plastic clips from the dealer is the way to go. I learned the hard way. Went to auto zone for the clips and wasted my money on the clips they sell, the plastic is different and breaks off when I was replacing the panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts