Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I get bad wind noise on the doors of my 96 Wagon. Sounds like its comming from both the passenger and drivers side doors up high. Usually when I go over 50. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
me too in my 96 GL ... i get this wind noise.. guess from the driver side door...

I felt the same this even in a 2002 taurus ses...

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
my 96 makes wind noise on the driver side, but thats because i busted the seal trying to brake into it...(damn friends). I had to break the privacy glass in the back, replaced it with a new one from the junk yard ($10), didnt but any seal on it figuring what was on there would be fine...and now that makes noises too....oh well my bad bearing covers the noise......

Sumtimes the seals on the front doors arnt tucked into the door like they should be, see if theres anyway to make them fit snugger....If i was home I'd take pics...

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by allford@Dec 23 2003, 09:22 PM
Hey all,

I get bad wind noise on the doors of my 96 Wagon. Sounds like its comming from both the passenger and drivers side doors up high. Usually when I go over 50. Any suggestions?
It's a Taurus thing. My Gen 3 is much better than my Gen 2. I think there was a recall on the early '96 models because the door gaskets made a farting noise at around 65-70 mph, so consider yourself lucky.
Just turn the radio up a little bit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Got that problem with my 95 Sable Wagon. I got the noise to change by fiddling with the rubber seal around the upper part of the door opening. If it isn't pushed up tight, the wind noise gets worse. It even had it when the car was new; the service manager "couldn't hear it".

"Couldn't hear it" -> translated: "I don't give a damn, because I don't wanna play with it."

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wash those rubber door seals when I wash the car. Dirt build-up makes them stiff and regular washing helps keep them (plyable) softer.

My big wid noise problems have been from the (wagon only) rear side windows. I pulled off all the rear plastic interior pannels and put a (another) bead of RTV around them to fix that. In one spot on both (rear sides near the upper seatbelt connections) there was a little gap that I was able to work new RTV into. That was the real fix for them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had a slight bit on noise in my car, my guess was just the airflow pattern over the body, I put on ventvisor however and it's a night a day difference...70mph will all the windows down and I can still talk on the cell

·
Registered
887 Posts
Could we get some more info on the "ventvisor". Is it something that fits on the front of the car to deflect the airflow up and over the car?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by CincySES@Dec 25 2003, 12:56 AM
Could we get some more info on the "ventvisor".  Is it something that fits on the front of the car to deflect the airflow up and over the car?
I think WeatherTech sells them. They fit around the front edge of the driver's and passenger's windows. Great if you smoke in your car; they help extract those noxious fumes.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I solved the wind noise problem. I sold the car. It had 137K on it and I am going to the Netherlands courtesy the Army. It's our main ride and I didn't want to break down in Europe somewhere. She would have done good but I didn't want to chance it.

Bought an 03 Sable LS Premium w/about 20K on it as a replacement. I know the wife'll like it but I bet I'll miss that Wagon versatility!

New one is much quieter but the 24V doesn't look as good, I guess Ford went cheap on the intake.

03 Sable LS Premium
96 Taurus Wagon LS (until Monday)
78 F100, 5.8 4 bbl, dual pipes
93 Mustang GT, 5.8 EFI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts