Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will using the parking brake when I put the car in park increase the lifespan of my transmition (my 2000 is going on 70,000 miles)? I think I read somewhere that when you put the car in park, the car will roll back till the transmition catches the car and holds it in place. This "catching" action produces strain on the tranny. Thus, when using the parking brake, the car doesn't roll back and little/no strain is placed on the tranny.

Is this true? Or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I never use the parking brake unless I'm on a hill. I parked on my friend's driveway which slopes and it "caught". When I put the car in reverse I noticed it was a bit harder to shift and it made a pretty scary clunking sound. I'm not too worried, the car still moves under its own power.

·
Registered
746 Posts
yes, using the parking brake every time you park will extend the life of your transmission.

when you put the car in park a little pin goes in and locks the transmission down. if you dont use the parking brake then every time you park and teh car rolls to where that pin is the only thing stopping the car from moving, that puts un-neccesary stress on the tranny. i have made it a habit to always use my parking brake in all my vehicles.

J

·
0 Posts
I have gotten into the habit of always putting the car into neutral after I stop, engaging the parking brake, then putting it into park. I especially make a point of doing it on hills, but I don't always do it in flat parking lots, etc. That clunk like noise that it makes after resting on it when parked on a hill or something really scares me.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
As well, using your parking brake frequently will prevent it from rusting up and stay adjusted so that when you DO need it, it will work for you.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Using the parking brake may extend the life on the parking pawl (the pin-type thing). But it's not going to do anything for the life of the rest of the tranny.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
My dad told me that the rear calipers can freeze to the rotors when the parking brake is used in cold weather. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Jan 6 2004, 09:16 PM
My dad told me that the rear calipers can freeze to the rotors when the parking brake is used in cold weather. Is this true?
Never heard about that, but for most Taurus owners we have drum brakes so no fear of that.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I thought the parking brake was independent of normal brakes and involved just a small shoe and drum?!?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Jan 10 2004, 02:34 AM
I thought the parking brake was independent of normal brakes and involved just a small shoe and drum?!?
On some vehicles (Ie, some explorers, as well as other vehicles,) the parking brake was itself a small drum in addition to the normal caliper and rotor breaks in the rear; on vehicles with drum breaks in the rear, the parking break was integrated into the normal drum. On Tauruses with rear disc brakes, though, the parking brake is integrated into the caliper...I haven't heard of any Taurus with rear discs that has a seperate parking drum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd like to add one thing, if you put your parking brake on it certanly does reduce the clunk of shifting out of park (espacialy on hills) but do this with caution when in cities and other placed where a car can 'tap' your car while parking since the ability of you car to bouce back and forward is reduced because the wheels are locked so if your parking brake is on and someone 'taps' you while parallel parking it can damage you bumper while otherwise it wouldnt have.

The parking brake on the 4wheel disc tauri is built in to the rear caliper and makes it a total PITA to change those discs and pads. the Cylinder of the piston is threaded and when you put the parking break on the cable pulls on a level and it turns the piston which moves it forward on its thread, since the parking brake is a ratchet it keeps it in place and as soon as you let go of the ratchet a large spring pulls the piston back away from the disc. I see no way the parking brake can lock the back wheels due to cold weather if it does then the spring that would have pulled it away from the disc have faild and when you hit the brake regularly they would lock anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fozen brakes are not uncommon in snow country(in town dosen't count as country). Heres what happens. While driving in powdery snow the snow gets into the drums and melts on the warm brake parts(parts are warm due to friction) then freezes after you stop. If the parking brake is applied while the brakes are wet the shoes can freeze to the drums. The amount of water and the outside temperuture determine how solid they feeze. Sometimes heat must be used to free them. Dragging on bare pavement only flat spots the tires.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was using mine everytime I parked until I streched the intermediate cable. Ford wants $65 us for the cable and I had to have it shipped so it would take 1 week. So I still haven't done it and have no e-brake right now. Which is probably a good thing because I have had the urge to do e-brake slides in the snow lately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to use the parking brake all the time, and so did the previous owner. He always had problems with the rear disk brakes and I have seen his receipts from three different places he had the rear brakes fixed (replaced rear rotors and pads a couple of times in two years). The brakes often vibrated and were noisy.
Finally, while replacing a flat tire, I discovered that the rear brakes were dragging. Not so bad while applying regular brakes, but once the parking brake was applied and released, the right wheel was very hard to rotate, while the left rear wheel whas impossible to rotate at all. The reason for this were stuck caliper pistons, probably from applying the parking brakes which do apply a lot more pressure on them.
I replaced the rear brake calipers, stopped using the parking brake, and the brakes started to work perfectly fine. It seems as if rear drum brakes work better with the parking brake than the disk brakes.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a slight drag on my left read drum.

But the rubbing is not constant but at only for a portion ? Dont know the drum is out f round or something do do with the pads. anyway its very slight that I can turn the wheels with my hand pretty easily.

J

·
0 Posts
The POS mitsu lancer I have for a rental car right now has the nice ebrake in the center with the long handle, so you can engage and disengage quickly, that's a fun lil car to slide in teh snow
(That's about the only thing fun about it though
)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I was going to post, but when I did it gave an error and lost my entire post:

Summary

1.USE the parking brake. Ford makes s*** trans'.
Proper use: Put car in neutral, push on E-Brake, let go of brake pedal, wait for car to shift, then put in park.

2.If you have a gen4 and your trans clunks when you go from drive to neutral or shift in general and it clunks, flush your trans.

3.I have owned 3 Taurus', Gen 1, 2 and 4 (sorry Gen 3, [comment omitted so I don't hurt anyone's feelings]) and I have used the E-Brake on every single one and never had a problem with the trans.

4. And don't spend time writing a huge post because TCCA will just error you out and lose your work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts