Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 89 sable ls wagon. the electronic instrument clustrer is bad on it. i was able to find a cluster on ebay from a 92. the shape of it looks the same, exept, the 92 has dials, while my 89 is all LED. (i dont give a sh*t about the LED actually i prefer the dials.) it looks like it will physically fit in the dash, but what about the connections? or, if any one is parting out an 89 sable, that would work too. thanks m8s

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
That's a no-go. The cluster in the 1991 (Gen 1) will fit into a '92-95 (Gen 2) but before '91 they were a different size. Apparently Ford redesigned the dash and instrument cluster one year before the rest of the car. U-Pull-it junkyards let gauge clusters go for $10-15 usually, and it only takes about 5-10 minutes to get them out.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Actually, the interior redesign was 1990. '86-'89 are only interchangable with other '86-'89 Taurus/Sables. Digital cluster have special wiring and electronics so I don't think an analog guage would be compatable.

5-10 minutse is a bit optimistic. For a beginner, it'd probably take more like 30-40 mintues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info m8s. i will check some u-pullits. lord knows the dealer would want one of my kids. i got the old one out in around 5 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts