Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking on ebay and found "NEW Ford Taurus SHO catted high flow y-pipe". I was just wondering if this will fit on my car. I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not but just thought I would check.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I doubt it will fit. The Gen III SHOs were V8s, so the exhaust outlets (where the manifolds meet the y-pipe) would be in a different position. Also, the Gen II SHOs, which were 3.2 L V6s, probably had a different exhaust configuration.

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I'm fairly certain the answer is "no, it won't work" but not having tried it myself before i won't say i'm certian it doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 12 2004, 02:27 PM
Please be the person to prove the both of us wrong...that would be one instance when it would kick a$$ to be wrong!

JR
:withstupid:

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Aug 12 2004, 06:10 PM
You are all wrong.

The Gen 3 SHO cat back will fit the Gen 3 SLO's (Duratec)

The Gen 2 SHO y-pipes on eBay will NOT fit the Gen 3.

are you happy now godspunk32?  :D

No it will not fit without SERIOUS modification, to the point where id be sheaper to have one made.

As for the cat back fitting.....Are you sure? Physically it will fit under the car, but does it bolt up in the exact same spot and same flange??

Brad

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kinda figured it would not work but I had to ask. I couldn't pass up the possibility of upgrading the exhaust. Oh well. I guess I will have to wait for Draxus or some other person with a little ingenuity.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Ict_Lx@Aug 13 2004, 07:19 AM
I kinda figured it would not work but I had to ask. I couldn't pass up the possibility of upgrading the exhaust. Oh well. I guess I will have to wait for Draxus or some other person with a little ingenuity.
There's no need to wait you can just got to a local exhaust shop and they can custom make a cat back system for you. There are several people who have done that.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Eventually, I'll hopefully be doing a full cat-back for my car, but just not this weekend. Too much preventative maint to take care of now.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32+Aug 13 2004, 07:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Aug 13 2004, 07:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-spridget@Aug 12 2004, 05:10 PM
You are all wrong.

The Gen 3 SHO cat back will fit the Gen 3 SLO's (Duratec)

The Gen 2 SHO y-pipes on eBay will NOT fit the Gen 3.

are you happy now godspunk32?  :D
What should I be happy about Spridget? What's the deal?

JR [/b][/quote]
he was refering to the comment about being wrong and how it be a good thing.....it was not a personal attack.

Brad

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Please be the person to prove the both of us wrong...that would be one instance when it would kick a$$ to be wrong!

JR

Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 13 2004, 08:09 AM
Ok...I'm deleting my post then.

JR
heehee... sorry, not trying to ruffle any feathers

Brad, I thought Bob used a SHO exhaust on Anonda's car... and I thought you had one on Baby SHO v 1.0 (rip)

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
no....he was gonna put one on, then i purchased it, and put it on v.2.....quite a bit diffrent plus the pipe is 1/4 bigger in diamiter

Brad

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Aug 13 2004, 07:54 PM
no....he was gonna put one on, then i purchased it, and put it on v.2.....quite a bit diffrent plus the pipe is 1/4 bigger in diamiter

Brad
got it... Also I remember a short lived aftermarket exhaust (Borla?) for the Gen 3 SHO that could be used on the SLO... I guess it requires the same modification.

I would think the best benefit would be the larger diameter of the pipe. How much modification is needed?

G

·
I can't remember exact sizes, but the SHO exhaust ID is slightly larger. Plus, the SHO y-pipe back exhaust has a third cat, the SLO's do not (to the best of my knowledge). The SHO exhaust will not be a bolt on unit, however one can use it on a SLO, and save a little money in the process if you find one used. They're stainless, so there's little chance of a used exhaust being rotted out also.

Here's what I did to adapt it to Brad's car:

-Cut the stock exhaust right after the hanger on the driver's side, on a straight run of the pipe.

-Carefully measured (four times) the distance from the hanger on the car to the end of the pipe I had just cut, plus one inch for overlap.

-Transferred this measurement to the SHO exhaust and cut the rear Y/muffler assy. off at this measurement.

-Disconnected the rear control arms on the drivers side and dropped them down so I could raise the new Y pipe into place, instead of trying to jockey it around through the mass of garbage that's under there.

-Slipped the SHO Y pipe over the stock pipe (there's about a 1/8th inch gap), bolted the control arms back up.

-By this point, Brad had the passenger's side hanger installed, and we hung the exhaust.

-After getting everything aligned visually, I tacked it in place. We verified that everything was lined up with about four different people, then I did the final welding. The 1/8th gap between the pipes was filled with a piece of scrap metal, and I welded a full bead around the pipe.

Mad phat skillz man, mad phat. B) :p :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts