Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty sure my overflow tank has a crack or something like this because it leaked for a day and a half then stopped. tank was empty so i filled it up and it started again and stopped. right after it stopped i opened the hood and the tank was empty sooo..propable tank. my question is i found some "Bud's leak stopper" it said it could stop leaks in plastic and metals. it is made for the cooling system. my question is since its just the tank should i just go get it replaced or take my chances with this stuff i just dont want to do any damage to any thing else like water pump or clog the radiator....i just was wondering do these leak stoppers really work?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I wouldn't risk the stop-leak crap if I were you. I learned my lesson the hard way, it's much easier and cheaper in the long run if you just replace what's leaking. I used Bar's stop-leak for the cooling system and it sludged up the whole system so bad it broke the impellers on my water pump and left about an inch of sludge on the bottom of my coolant resevoir. Just replace the resevoir, I think without the coolant level sensor you can get a resevoir for like $15 or $20.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with Mike too, it's not worth the risk to create a sludge inside the cooling system, it might help a little when the car is running at normal temp but if for any reason your car overheats the excessive pressure might break away the "seal" that liquid made and you'll end up right where you started.

In the long run it's better if you go to your nearest junkyard and find a reservoir tank that fits your car. Just for the sake of it I would Doublecheck if the leak is really located at the reservoir tank or if it's one of the Rad hoses before buying anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts