Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just found this forum. My new wife has a 2000 Taurus with the Duratec engine. She has 95,000 miles on it and the only maintenance that has ever been done is regular oil changes, 1 engine air filter change at 40K miles, brake pads, battery, and tires. Car has been problem free.

I know it is long overdue for:

Transmission fluid change
Radiator Flush
Brake Fluid Change
Spark Plugs
Engine Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Fuel Filter?

Am I missing anything else? We'd like to get at least another 50K miles out of the car and now that the car is my responsibility I will try to take much better care of it.

I called my local Ford dealer and they suggested I have the 30,000 maintenance service performed and the plugs changed. $520. I'm not sure exactly what the 30,000 maintenance covers.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
I wouldn't do a tranny flush at 90K miles. If it hasn't been done by now, I wouldn't start.

Cabin air filters are easily replaced by yourself. The Cabin air filter would run you about $20-24. Regular/engine air filter is definately easily replaced for around $10. ($40-60 if you get a K&N Panel filter < best way to go, saves you money in the long run)

Fuel filter you can change by yourself as well. Spark plugs and wires should be done, I believe. That's relatively easy to do.

Where are you located? And welcome to the club!

J

·
0 Posts
The things you listed sound about right and pretty much covers what the 30k entails. *knock on wood* we've yet to see any real tranny issues with Gen 4's and this is one of the highest mileage ones I've heard of. Changing the tranny fluid at that high of mileage can be risky if it has never been done. So just a word of caution there, but I would probably do it. Just make sure the fluid you put back in is Mercon V (which is what it should call for in the manual). Definitely get the radiator flushed someplace that hooks it to a machine and power flushes it, drain and fill is barely effective, especially since you have so many miles. The same goes for the tranny, too actually. The dealership, unfortunately, is probably the best place to go for the tranny service. The other stuff could be done elsewhere for cheaper probably. I take my car to "Valvoline Instant Oil Change" for radiator flushes. They do it for $59.99 - often on special this time of year and sometimes they have coupons and they have a nice machine they use to power flush it. But the rest of the stuff you could probably do yourself if you wanted to. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the prompt replies. I'll call my dealer again and get him to list everything done for the 30K mile service to make sure it includes everything.

So, I take it there is differing opinions on whether to change the tranny oil at such high mileage. Not sure what to do here.

I'm in Baton Rouge, LA Firespirit. Thanks for the welcome.

J

·
0 Posts
As far as the tranny fluid goes, I would ask your dealership what they think. The Gen 4 tranny's seem to be entirely different from the previous generations. I'm sure the dealership has dealt with high mileage tranny fluid changes in Gen 4 Tauruses so they may be able to offer you some advice. Just don't forget that they will probably lean towards having you do it since they would be the ones getting paid to do it. ;) Wouldn't hurt to call local tranny shops either and get an opinion. If the consensus is to do it, then I would probably go ahead and do it, but at the stealership. :)

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by lsutiger@Sep 21 2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. I'll call my dealer again and get him to list everything done for the 30K mile service to make sure it includes everything.

So, I take it there is differing opinions on whether to change the tranny oil at such high mileage. Not sure what to do here.

I'm in Baton Rouge, LA Firespirit. Thanks for the welcome.
I think it would be a good idea to change the fluid. Someone else here might have mentioned that the power flush method of removing all the fluid disturbs all the metal particles on the bottom of the pan. Check with the dealer and see if they drop the pan and clean it out or just power flush it. At 90k, I'm sure they would probably have to drop the pan and change the filter, clean out the magnet and all the stuff on the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just called the Ford dealer again and got some prices. I'm not too mechanically inclined so I'm comfortable doing any of this myself. Does everything here sound reasonable and needed?

Transmission Fluid Change (he said it wasn't a "power flush" because it just uses the cars normal pressure to replace the old fluid with the new, I know this isn't the drop the pan method as sugessested, but he said they have used this method on other cars with such high milage (first change) and haven't had any problems. $132

Radiator Flush $105

Brake Fluid Change $75 (I'm not sure if I need this. The car had new brake pads put on not long ago. Does the fluid get changed automatically at the same time?)

Spark Plugs $70

Fuel Filter $30

Power Steering Fluid Change $74

Fuel Induction service $118 (clean injectors etc.)

I'll probably be bringing it in next week. Does this cover everything? Any of this unnecessary?

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Scott

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think you should get the tranny flushed. I read a long discussion about the old "if you haven't had it flushed don't start now," theory. The thinking was it started because after never servicing their trans, and after it started slipping or otherwise acting up, they then decided to try a flush. By then it was too late. And there were few if any reports of perfectly working trans that were flushed and then they immediately started to act up.

Anyway.... I took my '00 Sable Duratec to the dealer for a trans flush as soon as I bought it last Fall with 78,000 miles. Probably was it's 1st flush. Cost $147 and I NEVER go to a dealer for anything. It's just that you want to be SURE whoever does it uses Mercon V, which costs more than the other AT fluid.

All the other stuff I've done myself and i'm no mechanic....

Change oil and filter... Pennz 5w-30 + Motorcraft Filter FL820S from Walmart for $10.

Fuel Filter from NAPA (Silver 23097) $7

Cabin Filter Purolater C254082 from Advance auto $18

Air Filter Purolater A35323 Advance Auto $9

Replace the power steering using a $2 turkey baster and about 2 quarts of AT fluid
cost about $6

Just changed plugs myself for $21 (Motorcraft AGSF32WM) from Rockauto.com.
There's a a very long helpful discussion about this from about a month ago on this board giving detailed instructions how to do this (the back 3 plugs are hard to get to) yourself without taking off the intake.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by lsutiger@Sep 22 2004, 10:37 AM
Just called the Ford dealer again and got some prices. I'm not too mechanically inclined so I'm comfortable doing any of this myself. Does everything here sound reasonable and needed?

Transmission Fluid Change (he said it wasn't a "power flush" because it just uses the cars normal pressure to replace the old fluid with the new, I know this isn't the drop the pan method as sugessested, but he said they have used this method on other cars with such high milage (first change) and haven't had any problems. $132

Radiator Flush $105

Brake Fluid Change $75 (I'm not sure if I need this. The car had new brake pads put on not long ago. Does the fluid get changed automatically at the same time?)

Spark Plugs $70

Fuel Filter $30

Power Steering Fluid Change $74

Fuel Induction service $118 (clean injectors etc.)

I'll probably be bringing it in next week. Does this cover everything? Any of this unnecessary?

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Scott
That's a ripoff for the plugs and radiator flush. Like I said above, Valvoline will do a nice flush with their machine for $59.99, plus look for coupons in your local paper or see if they have a special on it yet, they usually do this time of year.

Spark plugs are like $15 or less for all of them (for OEM replacements). That is something you could replace yourself and save yourself $50 or so. But from what I hear, it can be a pain to get to the rear set on the Duratec, but I'll let somebody else fill you in on that. (I don't have a Duratec).

Brake fluid change you could probably do yourself, too for the price of the fluid, there is a thread about changing it in the "Solutions to Common Problems" forum, you may want to check that out. It is titled "Brake Failure: The Greatest Fear in Owning a Car" or something like that.

That's not a terrible price on the fuel filter change - the Motorcraft ones were a little more expensive when I got a price, plus I'm told it's sort of a pain to change (I had somebody else do mine for like $20 at a local garage).

I don't know anything about the power steering fluid change, so I'm not going to say anything.

If that's an actual Fuel System service (not just crap they dump in the gas tank), which I'm sure it is at that price, that's not a bad idea to have done. Although I think Valvoline will do this for $70 and theirs seems to be pretty good.

I think you have everything covered, but I wouldn't go to the stealership if you want to save some money, you can do what we have suggested above and probably save yourself $100 or more. But if you're not really concerned about the money, then just go for it at the dealership. :)

I'd just like to point out that it's good to see people doing these maintenance items, you gotta take care of the car and it will take care of you. :thumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here's what you do, Tiger-guy... assuming you don't want to do this stuff yourself...

Get the tranny flush for $132 from the dealer making SURE they use Metrcon V. It doesn't hurt to remind them of the correct fluid, afterall.

The fuel filter's very important so paying $30 is a little high but get it done there or somewhere else.

Radiator flush for $105? Way too high. Check your local places and you'll get it for $50 to $60. But do this, for sure.

Brake fluid change? The manual doesn't even call for a fluid change at all. Ever. Many on this board change it anyway. My previous Taurus, a '96 went 146,000 miles on the original fluid and worked fine when I sold it. However, if you get this done, call a brake repair place and ask them the cost of bleeding the brakes. Someone here a few weeks ago said he buys the $5 can of Valvoline SynPower Fluid (which most feels is the very best fluid) and his mechanic bleeds and replaces his fluid for $25.

Spark plug change for $70. Do this. Manual calls for plug change at 100,000 miles. This will probably be the only time it's done on this car while you own it. Since the dealer will be taking off the intake to do this, I believe, make sure they replace the PCV Valve, too. (probably another $15) It's almost impossible to get to without removing the intake.

Change the power steering fluid for $74? No friggin' way. The manual doesn't call for the fluid to be changed and again, on my previous Taurus it went 146,000 on the original. All you need to do is just get a $2 turkey baster, suck the fluid (it's about a cupfull) from the reservoir and replace with new fluid. Takes 2 minutes and costs $4 worth of fluid. You do this once, then drive the car for a week or so and repeat a few times until all the fluid in the reservoir is nice and pink.

Come on man. even an LSU Tiger can do that.

Skip the fuel induction, BS. Just get a container of Techron injection cleaner and put it the tank. And one more time.... my previous Taurus never had a bit of fuel injection anything service and the car still got 29.5 mpg when I sold it.

Do this and save your money and buy a ticket to watch the Gators come to Red Stick on October 9th and kick Tiger butt once again. Since the Gators have beaten the Tigers 15 out of the last 17 times they've played, it's nearly a certainty. Oh wait. If they use SEC officials....... Forget about it.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Sep 21 2004, 08:50 PM
we've yet to see any real tranny issues with Gen 4's and this is one of the highest mileage ones I've heard of.
My 2000 Duratec has 126K on it

Mike
B)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks John. I believe I will take your advice (on the Taurus that is). If I show up at Tiger Stadium on October 9th I will be the only one there. The game is in Gainesville.

Nick Saban teams take a while to develop. By October 9th we will be 4-1 and ready for some revenge from last year. I predict the Tigers will win a close one.

Thanks again........

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by mwt+Sep 22 2004, 01:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mwt @ Sep 22 2004, 01:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jason8225@Sep 21 2004, 08:50 PM
we've yet to see any real tranny issues with Gen 4's and this is one of the highest mileage ones I've heard of.
My 2000 Duratec has 126K on it

Mike
B) [/b][/quote]
Cool, how's it running? Had any issues in the past?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Cool, how's it running? Had any issues in the past? [/QUOTE]

The only issues I have had was getting away from these guys.
Thanks to help from Bob on the suspension and the 27 HP I gained from my CAI I was able to get away without any damage

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by mwt@Sep 22 2004, 02:33 PM
the 27 HP I gained from my CAI
:blink:.....your kidding right??
is that even possible??

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by SableTuner+Sep 22 2004, 06:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SableTuner @ Sep 22 2004, 06:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mwt@Sep 22 2004, 02:33 PM
the 27 HP I gained from my CAI
:blink:.....your kidding right??
is that even possible?? [/b][/quote]
I gained 19HP from my super cool non-directional SHO slicers :lol2:

·
Registered
135 Posts
first thing is to get the haynes and chilton manuals, they are worth their
wieght in gold in saving money, if the filters look easy to get to, do it
yourself, if you're the do it yourself type like i am. definintly change the tranny
fluid but always drop the pan and change the filter, i did mine in the backyard,
and it's done right. bleeding brakes you can do yourself, your brakes will
surley love you for it, you will notice a difference. the radiator flush is best
sent out and those back plugs on the duratec are a major pain, i haven't
done mine yet but looks real tuff. you can save a ton of $ if you do it
yourself and it runs better, w/this great web site you can do it all!

Cruise on Tauri Bro' good luck, dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dave,

Here's a link to a recent discussion on changing the rear plugs on the Duratec without removing the intake. It's really not that hard.

Agree on buying the Haynes Repair Manual. It costs about $13 and if it doesn't save you 10 times that amount (For the guy from LSU, that's $130) I'd be surprised. Especially for a non-mechanic type like me.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...&hl=spark+plugs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts