Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting this wierd low pitch "vonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" sound from the engine area... (I have heard this in many older cars when backing up)

but my 96 GL 's vulcan has started doing this even when not moving..
this sound is there all the way from Idle rpms to higher rpms... increases slightly at higher rpms...

I check all fluids - nothing abnormal when driving. Any ideas? :(

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Could be that you have a leaking exhaust manifold. Have you run through a puddle while the engine was hot lately? It might have cracked the manifold, therefore, exhaust might be leaking out, and it could cause a low pitched groan like you describe.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Have you noticed any change in acceleration? If it's a leaking manifold, you would typically notice an associated lack of acceleration, since there is less backpressure.

Manifolds really aren't "that" expensive...you can get them on Ebay, typically for about $100 or so. You just need to know which one it leaking. If you have decent automotive skills, you should be able to replace the manifold yourself. You would definitely need jackstands and such, but I know the front manifold isn't too bad. I can't speak for the rear.

JR

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope no change in acceleration etc,...

Some cars make this characteristic "vooonnnnnnnnnn" sound when backing... up.

In mine, Oh well It coming from the engine bay even when idling, gotto hone in on where its coming from..

I chnaged the oil & filter recently... but the sound came only after like a week of that... and I was there when the guy put the filter on. I got motorcraft fl-400s

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup. Looks likes it coming from the PS pump. :(

what do I do?

The PS fluid is good & cherry red in color...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts