Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got another thread started for a cluster thats not working sometimes.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/162985-2005-se-cluster-not-working.html

I noticed the battery light will come on, the tach/speedo/temp will just drop like no power. The fuel gauge works all the time.

When this battery light comes on, the AC compressor stops
AC blows, but warm.

If the battery light happens to go off, the tach/speedo/temp will be back to normal and the AC instantly starts to get cold.
Now I took the relay out for the AC and I can jump the connection and get the compressor to start, but it seems there's not enough juice for the relay to 'click'

I have a new battery, same problem
replaced the alternator, same problem
Ive checked grounds/connections and giggled all the wires with no results.

So the question remains... .what 'problem' can affect some cluster gauges and the AC compressor!

Everything else works, windows, lock, lights, blower, CD etc...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Did you MEASURE the voltage now on the battery (with engine running)?

Sometimes when you put the new alternator on an "empty" battery, the high charging current kills the alternator again. Usually you charge the battery with a charger when is completly dead, not with the alternator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah did that too. The battery is new, and was still at full charge, the old alternator was charging fine.
With the old and new alternator I get the same readings at the battery....
Not running = 12.9v
Running = 14.25v

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Those are ok values...
So it remains to be investigated a bad contact - maybe is an intermitent one..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to start running my own power leads to certain areas to see if I find a positive wire that's cracked, frayed, broken, burned etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well holy $h!t... I checked every ground, every positive wire under the hood
Disconnected the large fuse/relay box, cleaned up its connections to the battery with no good results.

Decided to take out the cluster, look around, and put it back to see if it made any difference.
and wouldn't you know it the problem seems to be the cluster...

I took it out, and the harness was long enough to plug it in on top of the dash. I found that if I squeezed the cluster in the middle behind the fuel gauge the battery light went out and the gauges worked.

If I let go, the battery light would come on and the gauges would drop..
Did it 100 times, same result every time.

Took the cluster apart, wiggled any solder connections and tried again but it would not work without squeezing it.

SO ........ Im off to find a used cluster tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Initially I did type to check the cluster, but then I did edit the message to include the voltage measurements and I thought that cluster is too long of a shot so I left it out.
Missed my opportunity to say "told you so" :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts