Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Ford Taurus and while waiting at the animal hospital (since you can't go in) I shut my car off. When I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't start. When I turn the key, it doesn't click or make any sound. The dashboard lights turn on, the radio is on, the windows move but it doesn't start. If I put my foot on the brake, can move the gear shift. I had my dad jump the battery and it didn't do anything. What could the problem be?

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
Does the starter 'click' when the key is turned? Try tapping on the starter while someone turns the key to start

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
If there's no solenoid engagement (click) then suspect battery terminal corrosion. Just going with the standard/easy roadside things here to try and get you moving

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dead battery, corrosion at battery terminals, corrosion where terminals meet starter/ground, etc.
Some auto parts stores will charge the batt and put it on a 'load tester' to check it, all without charging you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dead battery, corrosion at battery terminals, corrosion where terminals meet starter/ground, etc.
Some auto parts stores will charge the batt and put it on a 'load tester' to check it, all without charging you!
Thank you for the reply! I'll see about that tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
Have a helper hold the key in START and give the starter a wack or 2 with a hammer. If it cranks replace the starter. If it doesnt do anything, jump the starter relay in the BJB and see if it cranks. If it cranks, check the relay and relay socket terminals for corrosion, damage, etc. Relay itself can be checked with a 12 V supply and a DMM.

Reactions: kekaye56 and sheila

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,769 Posts
Move the key to ON and put the transmission selector into LOW position...now, for the contortion...use your left hand to turn the key to START position, and your right hand to slowly move the selector lever through the quadrant back to PARK. If you get starter action somewhere you have a bad or mis-adjusted neutral safety switch or possibly a bad brake interlock cable to the selector lever. Easy troubleshooting, and sometimes saves a buttload of diagnostic time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2002 Ford Taurus and while waiting at the animal hospital (since you can't go in) I shut my car off. When I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't start. When I turn the key, it doesn't click or make any sound. The dashboard lights turn on, the radio is on, the windows move but it doesn't start. If I put my foot on the brake, can move the gear shift. I had my dad jump the battery and it didn't do anything. What could the problem be?
This too later for this question. But, I had the same issue when coming out from a doctors appointment. It was the starter. One of the post broke and come to find out this is a common issue. I strongly suggest you not try to replace with the cheapest starter. I went thru 3 before before upgrading to the more expensive version. So, save yourself the trouble and get the lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Agree most likely the starter, my wife goes through one every two years, paid for an Autozone Gold and they exchange it no cost lifetime coverage. She and Bubba the tow truck driver are good friends.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Last time I had a stater go was on '95, many long years ago. It had a fuel leak down and took longer to start than it should. Wore out brushes and I just replaced them.
-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for your replies and help! I had to take my car to the mechanic and replace the starter. He said that whoever changed my oil didn't close the cap all the way and oil was dripping on it. I'm glad I got it fixed!

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Change your own oil and then you have few to blame. The dog did it!
Congrats on your fix. Oil in the starter common fail.
-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Change your own oil and then you have few to blame. The dog did it!
Congrats on your fix. Oil in the starter common fail.
-chart-
Yes I would eventually like to learn how to do that. I'm not versed in cars at all and I really have no excuse not to.

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
When I change the oil in our 95 and 06 Vulcans, I always cover the starter with several layers of newspaper, tin foil, etc so oil doesnt soak the starter when removing the oil filter. Starters on both Vulcans are original.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Perhaps that's why I've never had starter problems with my 99 — I only change the filter every third oil change.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts