Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new front struts on my '91 Sable because of a wheelhop problem and because they were the originals with 187k miles on them. I replaced a control arm and had the front end aligned as well.

Wheelhop is somewhat less of a problem now on gravel, but is still very pronounced on paved surfaces. What's up with that... is it built in to these cars?

Regards... Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I failed to mention... this occurs when breaking traction while accelerating briskly from a dead stop. It seems to be OK when just driving down the road.

I did not replace the springs or the mounts.

Regards... Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked around under there this evening and I found these two faults:

The stabilizer bar link nuts were rather loose; I evidently failed to fully tighten them when I replaced the struts.

Also, the RH tire was failing... it has an area where wear is extreme with steel fibers being visible. I think the belts are letting go. Come to think of it, my alignment shop advised me that one of my tires was exhibiting radial pull, but I never thought to ask which one. I'll bet it was this one. They rearranged tire postions in order to cancel out the effects of that pull.

I don't know if either of these conditions would cause wheelhop, but I have corrected both. We'll see tomorrow if things are different.

Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That seemed to fix the problem.

Wheelspin on gravel now is very smooth. I haven't tried it on pavement yet... I just cannot bring myself to flog the old girl unnecessarily.

Regards... Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts