Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, another BF2001SES ricer beatdown to share.
Allow me to set the stage.
Friday morning, being that is was a National Day of Mourning, I had the day off. Sweet! I got a set of SilverStars to install, a Trany Cooler to test fit (need to get more fluid before I hook it up) and some tinkering with the intake to do. So, up goes the front end, I wiggle and jink and shift the cooler, test out hose lengths and get everything all peachy.
Next, out goes the battery both headlight assemblies, in goes the Stars, and out comes the battery tray. Insert 25 minutes of grunting cursing and sweating, as I take utmost car to not shread the cable bundles surrounding the forward 18 inches of the intake. Pics to be posted later tonite.
So, in it goes, and around the block I go. No water ingestion (it was raining a little) and it gets nice and mean above 2500 RPM, especially at WOT.
Run errands all day, getting the things done Ive been putting off, savoring the rumble.
Around 7:30, I gass up (Amoco Silver, $2.17 a gallon, my regular gas station (Mobil) has been having computer glitches for a month, pumps all out of whack) and blaze up to Leesburg, where my beautiful bride to be was at a convention, and I drove up for dinner. I find that throttle response is slightly improved, a potentially minor increase in economy (though that could be the different gas too) and a minor improvement in power and accelleration (according to my trusty stopwatch and my even more trusty Jeans Dynojet).
At midnight, I bid my goodbyes, and make the drive back. On Route 28, just north of Dulles International Airport, I am overtaken by a classic example of Rice. I will detail what I saw in the ever so clear illumination of my Stars (GET THESE, GET THESE SOON! Best $32.75 you will spend on your car, trust me).
A previous generation Accord, the one with the triangle tail lights. Chopped springs, you could see the camber on the front wheels. Unpainted body kit, it was grey, car was green. QUAD FART CANS! about 5" in diameter, center mounted through a self made hole in the rear piece of the body kit. 2 wings, a 3" possibly stock one with a factory looking light bar, and your standard issue 48" tall erector set with 45* down angle rice wing. Altezzas of course, blue tinted heads, 3 blue LED side markers on the Drivers side that I saw, blue tireflies, blue washer lights, uni wiper, the usual collection of parts decals plastered on any surface, blue underglow lights, blue lights in the interior, monster tach, 3 pod guage mount, "MADSKILLZ RACIN'" windshield and rear window banners, a Giant "H" on the rear window, the "Evil H" emblem on the rear deck, and most importantly, 20" wheels with rubberband tires. Most hilarious, he had his "Thug Name" emblazoned on the drivers door, "Bogy". Usualy Thug/Ricer driving position, slouched back and angled to the middle.
I sped up to stay with him, cuz I had been on an antiluck streak, and in the last week have probably hit every stop light Ive come across. Sure enough, the stoplight outside the Hilton goes yellow, then red, and we are now side by side.
I slipped off the traction control, it was still a little damp, but a little throttle modulation and wheelspin is preferable to bogging the engine down when the Burnout Light comes on.
The usuall glances, nods, revving, and inching. Opposite light goes yellow, and I brake torque up to about 1250, light goes green.
I came all the way off the brake, but held about half throttle, once the speedo reads 20 so, I crush it. The engine comes to light and the muffled snarl usually produced by a 'tec instantly becomes a growl very reminicent of a Lightning or Cobra, sans the supercharger whine, tho an few decibles quieter and an octave high pitched.
Mr. Madskillz, is of course, rapidly turning his rubberbands into a tasteless, acrid cloud of smoke. At the point I poured on the gas, it was still nose to nose, but that changed. LM(II) shot through 3500 with a little more chirping and torque steer, all the way to 6500 where the intake reverted to sounding like a 'Tec should, just about 50 decibles louder. The shift to 2, and the engine goes back to sounding like a Fi-Vo on the other side of a wall, and already clearing 50, the ricer is now falling back. He has traction now, but the damage is done. I take it all the way to the 2-3 shift, let the engine rumble again for a second, then come off. Riceboy is 3 or 4 lengths back, and still dropping for the next few seconds, now gaining as LM(II) goes immediatly to 4 and engages the Lockout. At a length back, with every indication of a flyby in development, I decide that he hasnt learned his lesson, and crush it again. He gets just about even when the shift back to 2 happens, and the engine renews is fury. And merrily merrily merrily we pull away again.
Now, my luck with lights changes, and we keep up a merry little chase at about 85 all the way down 28.
We come up on Interstate 66, where I will be running west for a mile and a half to the Fairfax County Parkway, a.k.a Pork Hangout. The green arrow is still there, so I glide into the turn lane and take the corner at aroun 45. Jackass in the right lane missed the glide and took the turn at around 60, across 3 lanes of traffic. OK, follow me Tonto. We go screaming down 66 at 85, I duck onto the ramp for the parkway, he comes right up on the bumper. Top of the ramp, I floored it again, got some seperation, then came all the way off, settled into the right lane, and waited.
He went screaming past in the left lane, but didnt see what I had seen. Everybody familiar with the Parkway at 66 knows that there is this little turn off that the salt trucks use when coming out of the storage area there, it also makes for the perfect blind speed trap. Halfway down the ramp, I had seen that momentary glint of light between the trees, and when I merged I was doing all of 52 miles per hour. He went past me doing the best part of 90. The law enforcement official didnt really appreciate that. He lit up his rotaries as soon as he got past me. Bogy decided that he must still be faster then an Interceptor and shot from the left lane onto the exit ramp for Route 29 and the cop followed. Last I saw of either of them was the cop chasing and apparently gaining on a blue streak headed west on 29, I stopped on the top of the over pass to see what could be seen.
Oh well. Another one for the history books kids. Of course, the lesson learned here, as it usually is, is that is much better to save your loot and get something that is fast fresh out of the box, rather then something cheap and try and make it LOOK fast.
And I dont know why I bother anymore, I guess in this case the engineer in me told my foot that this was a post modification static stress test on the engine to make sure everything still worked. :D

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
It would be a dynamic stress test. Static would be if the vehicle wasn't moving, ie if it was on a dyno or revving in the driveway.

Nice kill. It's not everyday that you can beat a ricer and get him sent to jail for his stupidity. :thumb: :thumb: two thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Yeah, dude. When you tell a race story THAT long, make sure to include cliff notes at the bottom for those of us too lazy to read. :grin2:

That story sounds like what happened last night. I was riding out with my friend in an old beat up pontiac le manz, and we came across an eclipse with a fart can. I'm not sure of the year, but it was the one where there's a bump in the hood. Anyway, my friend is revving the motor, and making the car jump trying to entice the rice. Finally we catch a light. We both do a slow take off, then look over to make sure the race is still on. Now there's some discrepency as to what actually happened. My friend thinks the guy went for it, and I think he didn't go. Now, if he did go, then eclipses are piss slow, and if he didn't go then I feel bad for what happened after the race. Well, if he did race, then we blew his freakin doors off. Then, of course we slowed down, and eclipse boy passed us. But here's the kicker, as soon as he passed us, a cop comes out of no where, hauls a** past us and pulls him over right in front of us. My face was hurting because I was laughing so much. How the hell the cop missed this bright yellow terd that's noise is ungodly and deafening, I will never know. Maybe he just doesn't like imports.

Cliff notes: riced eclipse gets owned by POS pontiac and local law enforcement

·
Registered
326 Posts
I thought that tireflies were illegal in VA. Definite cop magnet, specially in FFX county. I'm in Mount Vernon (Southern FFX County) and the Fairfax County Parkway. Gets real fun with the first hill goin out of Springfield. If you love driving w/o too many cops watchin, try the parkway between Mount Vernon & Alexandria.
--FS20 B)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Originally posted by BF2001SES@Jun 12 2004, 10:50 AM
Of course, the lesson learned here, as it usually is, is that is much better to save your loot and get something that is fast fresh out of the box, rather then something cheap and try and make it LOOK fast.
i like my fast looking slow car. gets me in less trouble.
that is really funny either way, street racing is bad. many many points can resort from it.
MAD VULCAN POWA

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tinkering as in I needed to measure the distance between the inlet on the airbox and the hole in the fenderwall, ended up just ripping out the last 18" of induction pipe, every last inch outboard of the airbox. Wanna know why even 'tecs are a little slow on throttle response? Its cuz the actual inlet hole is all of about 35mm wide, and the tubing is baffled and narrows in sveral spots. Ill take a pic when i get home. Yanked that b**** off and I was laying patches on dry pavement without trying that hard. HAve to see if I can record and upload a sound clip. I dont have a digital camera to take vids. Email me if you need help taking it off. I aint a big dude (DanT98) can attest to this but I got that POS out in about 20 minutes.
Cliff Notes:Yank out every scrap of plastic on your intake before the airbox and then giggle insanely at the extra responsiveness and noise.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
:lol: @ Cliff Notes! Brian, you always got the best stories. I took the SHO out last night LOOKING for a stoplight go and nobody would run me. :???: Yet the Vulcan gets every hat-backwards wannabe DJ in town spooling revs like they were pacing the field at Bristol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meaning all the ricers are either home for the summer, or if they are still in highschool, enjoying the fact that mommy and daddy will get them anything they want so they dont have to get a summer job.
PICS IN 90 MINUTES! (assuming my mother hasnt taken her camera with her, rents on vacation and Im house sitting)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I read it all, and man what a story! :eek:

I took the SHO out last night LOOKING for a stoplight go and nobody would run me.  Yet the Vulcan gets every hat-backwards wannabe DJ in town spooling revs like they were pacing the field at Bristol.
Try this. Put the SLO tires and rims on the SHO and a few pieces of tape in a few key spots to cover up(marker the tape green to match) and go out. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, no pics. My mother made off with her camera. HAve to wait till monday when she comes back and I can pilfer it for a few hours.
And I know, I need to keep a gimbal mounted strike camera on my dash and rear deck so I can film some of the nincompoops I run across every day.

J

·
0 Posts
Great story, Brian! B) It seems like I can only get a good stop light match-up when I am not really in the mood for one. Although, the flowmaster does draw some attention and has earned me a few stop light meet-ups. :D Nobody wants to take on my mad vulcan powah, it seems. ;) :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts