Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang. 2005 Harley Deluxe. 2016 Freightliber Cascadia.
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as many of you know, I did an engine swap on my car. 1986 Taurus MT-5. I used the clutch and pressure plate from the 2.3 that was in the car, on the 2.5 that I put in. The clutch and pressure plate are almost brand new which is why I used them. The problem is the clutch slips horribly. If I keep it VERy light footed and on level ground it isn't very bad, but it accellerates SOOOOOOOOO slow. Like 0-60 in 5 minutes bad. I can be driving along, and then just push on the gas slowly almost to the floor and the clutch will slip, and the car won't gain any speed hardly at all. Sometimes will even slow down. It is adjusted properly, it engages fully and does not overengage. Any idea's?

Michael

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No leaks, the clutch and pressure plate are from the 135 horsepower 2.3, and are sitting on the 90 horsepower 2.5. The clutch and pressure plate are almost brand new, and the flywheel was inspected, and it's fine. So are the clutch and pressure plate.

Michael

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any looser and it doesn't engage fully, any tighter and it overengages.

Michael

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
maybe its the shock of loosing 40 hp that makes it seem slower?? I dunno. the others already took my ideas for suggestions. good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no, it slips. BADLY. Cruising down the road I hit the gas, and the engine winds up while the clutch slips, the car doesn't go any fatser, you can smell it too. P U NASTY SMELL.

Michael

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Hmm i would say it has something to do with the cable. I wouldn't even drive the car if it slips that badly. You might as well tear it apart and see if its something internal, it won't matter cuz if u keep driving htat way it is going to burn out prematurly anyways.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Apr 6 2004, 08:13 PM
Hmm i would say it has something to do with the cable.  I wouldn't even drive the car if it slips that badly.  You might as well tear it apart and see if its something internal, it won't matter cuz if u keep driving htat way it is going to burn out prematurly anyways.

·
Registered
177 Posts
fantacmet, could u get a picture of ur motor mounts for me? i know that has nothing do with this lol. lets hope that on my swap my clutch doesnt slip. wouldnyt be cool after tall the time i have been putting into this

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try and get some pics. I don't have a digital cam, I need to get one. I'm trying to findone for trade for something, but if possibly I'll get some pics. I've neglected to get any B/C my engine compartment looks horrid.

Michael

I know why you want the pics, you're doing a manual conversion. I've been keeping a little bit of track on your progress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts