Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. Everytime I drive it I can smell antifreeze. This happens year around. I had my radiator replaced about 1 1/2 years ago and my water pump replaced about one month ago so I know it is not coming from these two parts. I have checked all my hoses for leaks also. I even checked my antifreeze reservior for leaks and found none. I haven't checked my heater core because it is so hard to get too but I do not see any antifreeze leaking onto the floor boards. I check my antifreeze reservior level about twice a month and notice it is about 1/4 less than when I last checked it. What can be causing the antifreeze smell and the drop in the antifreeze reservior level each month?

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Check under the hood for possible traces of a leak. Usually a white residue from where coolant dried on the block before dropping onto the ground. The other possibility is the heater core is leaking considering you can smell it all the time. The only other thing you can do is to add a dye to the coolant and check it later for traces of the dye leaking.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Where are you smelling the coolant????
In cabin, under hood, around the exhaust????

Maybe a slow heater core leak as has been suggested, especially if your smelling it in the cabin. Look at the AC condensate hose opening, if the heater core is leaking, you should find some signs there.

OR it could be a head gasket leak, if the smell is coming from the exhaust area.
The 3.8L has a history of head gasket leaks.

Maybe do a coolant system pressure test & see what happens.

There is a flourcent dye that can be added to the radiator, to circulate in the coolant, then you use a UV source in low light conditions to cause the dye to glow a bright yellow/green at the leak point, or where the dye as dried.

Most autoparts stores sell a kit to do this now days.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts