Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to add fog lights, but I dont want to cut the bumper honestly. any ideas? i was thinking about led strips and such but i would rather have a bulb, I want to put in yellow lights, they cut through reflections and fog better. if anyone has done this already i'd like to see some pictures!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I actually have 2 sets mounted under / in my bumper. The lower set is an LED set for daytime running lights and the top set is a 100W Halogen bulb. I only run those at speed due to the heat from the bulb and the glass lens. They are all mounted off of the lower header panel and set right in the lower grill opening.

I'll try and find some other pics and add those later.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do they actually help vision at all? or just for looks. personally, i like the way leds look, but the light output is bologna.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Your right, the LED lights are mostly a show off light, but I do run them as daytime running lights. The 100W halogens, since they are so small & set into the bumper you cant run with just those for lights. I am still looking for something better, but I dont want to spend big bucks for Hella or another top brand light. I have a couple ideas if I find the right parts.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have added a nice pair on my '00. Did not have to cut the bumper, did drill though to attach them. They fit perfect in the vent and nice and snug so they don't flop around either.

Best part, they're bright! I have them tied to my parking lights so I just have to flip the headlight switch to turn them on. On many occasions driving around I forgot to turn on my main headlights and I didn't notice the difference. They do help alot, especially in the early early morning getting up and out when the heavy fog rolls in, even helps in the rain.

Only problem is the fact I installed them so long ago, I forgot what brand they are....:unsure: I may have the box somewhere in the shed but I have no clue lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I ended up citting the plastic that ran throu there as were i am stationed we have kamkasie birds and i have hit a couple so it all cracked. fabbed up a couple brackets and drilled throu the cross member there and bolted them up

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
mine r mounted right behind the bumper drilled into the foam absorber... they sit perfectly right in between the parts of the bumper too...they somewhat help sight more then leds thats for sure...(high performance driving lights - advanced auto $20)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mine r mounted right behind the bumper drilled into the foam absorber... they sit perfectly right in between the parts of the bumper too...they somewhat help sight more then leds thats for sure...(high performance driving lights - advanced auto $20)
you know what type of bulb is in there? i want the yellow ones

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey roach, you know the measurements of the light you put in? like how tall is the light? it looks like you squeezed it in the bumper there. if it fits perfect ill go on the hunt for a pair like that

·
Registered
61 Posts
mine look yellow in the day but are a bright white at night but i have the 40 something ultrastars in my headlights so it matches but like i said theres no cutting needed i can post a picture later

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Vol la

They're about 4" wide, the brackets sit in the bumper spacing so the lens stays outside it so its not entirely squished in there. Basically a bigger light for a smaller space.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts

my old 01 with $20 pilot autozone fogs

only decent pic i have unfortunatly

had them mounted just like Roach did, just barely through the bottom of the valence.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how did you wire them? Im thinking about just putting them to the parking lights. where should I splice it in?

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
On the parking light bulb I believe there are 3 wires ground high and low power, low power or constant would be running lights that's what you would want to tap into high power is the brighter one that would be the flasher. Trying to explain from my phone hope you can understand.

But most people just run them on a switch, wire to the battery ground it to any bolt then run the wiring through the firewall to a switch

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok. i get it. Honestly i want to put it to the parking lights cuz its too much work for me to find a sable switch and figure out how to wire it to the correct pins for pull out usage. And also i dont want to put some crappy ghetto switch in and drill it to my dash.

now how can i tell which wire is the high or low power one? im assuming the ground will be black... and can i splice the ground wire for the fog lights into the ground for the parking lights or should i give it its own ground?

plus I have never been able to find that firewall hole near the steering wheel. I have no idea where it is. i spent 2 days looking for it. I have my alarm wired in there, and i followed the wire to a place i cant see or put my hand far enough. for my amps, i used the hole at the bottom for the floor shift models.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yeah mine are wired just to the parking lights. Been awhile so I forgot what wire was which, I just found it using a multimeter. As for the bulbs, they appear to be just normal 55watt, 12volt halogens.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts