Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my lower ball joint & ran into problem after problem, but while I was waiting for the most part for Lyfts & Ubers, I was scrubbing away at my insanely rusted rotor, for hours. Used limeaway, Clorox, Dawn dishsoap, Krud Kutter, & a stainless steel wire brush. The results were futile. In fact, my wheel bearing was SO rusted, that the bearing split & came right off with the rotor. But anyways. I stuck that sucker in some white vinegar, 10 minutes later that sh*t was brand new.

I didn't take a before picture, but I hope the bearing gives some indication.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks awesome! I've heard of people using that but never tried it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have used vinegar as a rust remover for years. Removes rust from steel, cast iron etc. What ever tub/bucket you use for the soak will have permanent stains, so expect that. I usually mix the vinegar at 30%-50% with water, place object in the tub/bucket and leave it for several days to a week. When you take the metal out it will be covered in black residue which will stain skin, cloth, concrete, etc. Rinse off the metal and maybe a little scrubbing with a plastic scrub brush, then let dry in the sun (or oven). Ready to paint when dry. Like magic... or maybe chemistry!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
7 Participants
60DRB
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing