Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ford Taurus DOHC and it makes a whistling noise when i accelerate and when it hits over ~3000 RPM. it has a loss of power from this. Replaced intake manifold gaskets all 12 of them and airmass sensor and the intake manifold was cleaned and new gaskets. new air intake boot. new egr valve and lines. new spark plugs and coils. possible cause/ fix?

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
CEL on? Have you checked for any codes, especially lean codes? Why did you change out the MAF???? Ford MAFs are a VERY rare failure item.

Sounds to me like you have a large vacuum leak. LOTS of vac hoses under the hood that can fall off, leak / split.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vacuum hoses are fine. i’m pretty sure it’s related to either gas or exhaust. I have no lean codes. only 02 sensor

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
To be of any help, we need to know the EXACT codes stored in the PCM, like P1071, P1151, etc.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Just a thought, since you are running a DOHC have you validated the IMRC is working? You are only experiencing this at 3000 rpm (3600 actually), that's about when the IMRC should be opening.

If you don't have FORScan or other which can command the IMRC to open you may want to open the runners manually and take it for a drive. See if there is a change above 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i’ll have to get the code when I head back home after the weekend and see what it is again. I know it’s sensor 2 bank 2 I think. it’s the one next to the cat and i also have a catalyst code. the code clears when I put sea foam in my gas tank and then comes back when the sea foam is gone. i’ve ran the car with open headers and it seems to have more power and doesn’t whistle as much. as for the IMRC I have to give that a look.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
FYI, your 04 Tec does NOT have IMRC!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Can try replacing the bank 2 pre cat O2 sensor. If B2S1 switches slow or has a chemical shift, it can cause a 430, but the most common cause of a 430 is a failed bank 2 cat. If the cat has broken up it can partly block the exhaust and cause performance issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts