Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been hearing an odd noise when I let off the accelerator, coasting around 20-40 mph. Seems like its coming from front drivers side area but can really only hear it when the windows are up. Best I can describe it is sounds whiny/scratchy kinda on and off. Not terribly loud but definitely noticeable when coasting at low speeds. Seems to go away at higher speeds and when accelerating.

I took it to my regular mechanic and they drove it, heard the noise, and then put it up on the rack. They got it up to about 40mph and didnt hear anything odd with wheels off the ground so they attributed it to tire noise because the car was pretty bad out of alignment. Went ahead and had the alignment done but I’m still not convinced it’s just the tire(s). Thought I’d post here and see if you guys had any input?

2013 SEL AWD
123k miles primarily highway driver

Any response is greatly appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
7,808 Posts
Wheel bearing? Likely wont hear a failing wheel bearing when the car is run on a lift since there is almost no load on the bearing. Does the noise get worse / louder when cornering?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheel bearing? Likely wont hear a failing wheel bearing when the car is run on a lift since there is almost no load on the bearing. Does the noise get worse / louder when cornering?
Doesnt get louder when cornering, car drives just fine and I dont feel any resistance anywhere, thats why its just so odd. I’m hoping it really is just the tire but I dont know how tires could physically make the noise I hear. I’ll probably take it to the local Stealership to let me check it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this noise sort of like a faint "rock tumbler" type of noise? I drive a 2010 & also have awd. I wouldnt overlook the possibility of it being the ptu (transfer case), a cv joint on its way out, or... dare I say - torque converter bearing issue?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this noise sort of like a faint "rock tumbler" type of noise? I drive a 2010 & also have awd. I wouldnt overlook the possibility of it being the ptu (transfer case), a cv joint on its way out, or... dare I say - torque converter bearing issue?
I wouldnt really say a rock tumbler type of noise maybe more like a “skirting” noise like when an airplane is landing and their wheels hit the pavement (not as loud as that but). I know that sounds silly but idk how else to describe it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts