Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Since this is my first post, I might as well start it off right.

I'm replacing the oil pan gasket on my 1994 3.0 Vulcan and I've read TSB 03-5-3 and I've got the new Fel-Pro gasket (the good one) and the new bolt set, so I feel that I'm set there. The car has 154,000 miles on it and runs like a top, no oil usage, no rattles to include rod noise, no oil pressure issues (no flickering oil light off throttle while at operating temperature), not anything besides the swollen oil pan gasket and pesky oil leak onto the exhaust Y pipe. All service has been performed religiously and with Motorcraft filters and 10W-30 semi-synthetic blend Motorcraft oil (never have trusted the thinner stuff).

So, with all of this in mind, what else should I think about changing while I'm in there? I have access to a lift, so I'll have an easy go at it (except for those two pesky exhaust nuts). Should I think about changing the oil pump? Should I really even bother thinking about the rod bearings?

What are you thoughts? Is there really anything else that I should consider while I'm in there?

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Yaga

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Most pan gasket kits come with a new pickup gasket. That's not a bad idea. I usually use some threadlock on the pickup bolts. Don't forget black permatex around the block seams.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did this recently, while I was doing a valve job I went ahead and changed the oil pan gasket at the same time.

I broke an exhaust bolt. Pretty common I guess. I did not use any PB Blaster, which many people here love. Maybe try using that and letting it soak in a day or two before you do the job. Maybe the bolt will still break, maybe it won't. Use anti-seize compound when you put the bolts back in. It helps when/if you need to take them back out later.

I broke the bolt off and had to drill the sucker out. Took a while.

With oil pan bolts, if you torque them down, be sure to read the specs. My Haynes manual says INCH pounds, not foot pounds. Big difference, do not overtighten.

Changing the oil pump is a possibility with higher miles. Mine has 90k, and I did not replace the oil pump. Some people would, some people wouldn't. Your call. Others may chime in about that, but I suspect most would say let it be if it's working.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts