Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum and everybody was saying go with mercon V. I checked Advance Auto parts site, it listed about 5 types of fluids but I'm having hard time to figure out which one is mercon V which one is not.

Castrol Dex/Merc Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF

Part No. 079191335208

Coastal Multi-Purpose DexMerc ATF

Part No. 19509

MaxLife MaxLife ATF Plus Stop Leak

Part No. VV337
MaxLife MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF (1 Gallon)

Part No. VV322

So which one of above fluid did you guys have experience with?

And also, the Advance auto also has the transmission filter kit (filter+pan gasket). I need to choose the kit for AX4N transmission with 19 bolts right? What type of gasket should I choose, Elastomeric Gasket or rubber one?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to ask, if I want to flush it using the method pinned at our forum, how many qts of fluid should I buy?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is your tranny oil pan stamped with AX4N? If so, then that's the (19-bolt) gasket that you'll need to get. If you have the AX4N, I believe it's 14 quarts that you'll need. The other version uses a bit less - 12 quarts, or there-abouts. I don't have my Hayne's in front of me.

As far as fluid goes, most people are going to recommend something synthetic. Autozone sells the Mobil synthetic for about $1.50 more a quart than the regular tranny fluid.

·
Registered
128 Posts
it must say Mercon V on the bottle. I believe none of the ones you mentioned are Mercon V. Either get Mobil1 synt ATF or NAPA has Valvoline Mercon V. I don't know if the Valvoline is synt anymore. It used to be, but when I bought some last year the bottle did not say synt anymore, and it's a pain to spend $8 a qt for the Mobil.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you only have access to Advance Auto Parts, they sell the Mercon V under their own House brand name. I'm not sure about the other brands of Mercon V that they carry.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
it must say Mercon V on the bottle. I believe none of the ones you mentioned are Mercon V. Either get Mobil1 synt ATF or NAPA has Valvoline Mercon V. I don't know if the Valvoline is synt anymore. It used to be, but when I bought some last year the bottle did not say synt anymore, and it's a pain to spend $8 a qt for the Mobil.
People over bobistheoilbuy are saying the Valvoline maxlife is MerconV (listed on the bottle), and the Mobil One is selling for over $8 a qt at Advance.

And they do have their own brand clearly indicating MerconV, just don't know about the quality.

Just found this: http://www.nordiques.com/pieces/images/cataloguepdf/applicationhuiletrans.pdf (for Valvoline's application)
Actually both Mercon and Maxlife are listed for Ford Taurus.

And btw, do I need to use the one with stopleak? I don't see transmission fluid leak actually, but the car has 130K miles already. Anything bad would happen if I use the Maxlife with stop leak?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Unless your having problems with leaks, I wouldn't use anything with stop leak. Just stick with Mercon V, or a full synthetic that's Mercon V compliant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts