after all I have read on this forum, and the experiance of my sister GL,

which trannys are weak?

all of them or just some

please dont say the AX4N

I think thats what is in my car at least lol

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The AX4N's in the 4th gens are pretty good. Ford got a lot of the bugs out of them. I think lots of people have problems with the AX4S's. The 4S is the decendant (or the same thing) as the old AXOD-E's. I have the 4S... I wish I had the 4N.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The AXOD-E's were really bad. The AX4S is a variation of the AXOD-E, however, I think the failure rate is the same with the AX4N....or at least that is what I have seen. There was a poll on this a long time ago. I couldn't find it though :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
The AX4N had some internal improvements over the AXOD's A few of the line pressures adjusted and lube tubes resituated.

I have 93,000 miles on my car and have had little problems.
I said little - the EPC solenoid is going bad. How common is that? Who knows.

SO - don't worry much about it unless you are having serious problems with it.

Still, for a Taurus, getting close to the 100K mark and NOT having a bad trans is good, based on what I have read.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I'm up to almost 132,000 with my original tranny and motor. I did however put the largest Tranny cooler that discount had on my car at around 70,000. I think that helped alot myself. It still shifts about the same that it always has. I think it may even have the original fluid in the tranny. I haven't changed it since I got it at 59,738 miles because of constant lack of funds. I did however get the stuff to do it finally a few days ago, just haven't had a chance to do it until later today. Mine is a 99 LX with vulcan engine if you are wondering. One thing that probably helped with the fluid being so old is that it was low on fluid when I got it, and I added two quarts of fresh fluid. That probably bought me a little more time on that fluid. It doesn't smell burnt, I check it all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
which trannys are weak?.... *

hehehe :)

i've been lucky with my two taurus's i've owned before. my first (gen3 gl), which i got with 110k miles on it, was decent...by the time i retired it with 160k miles, it was probably 10k miles before the tranny would just fall out :)

this car (gen4 se) i bought with almost 90k miles on it, and it's got 101k miles on it, and it still shifts really well. i'm really considering the alt tranny cooler, though, just because of the known issues with all taurus/sable trannys ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that underneath my car it says AX4N on the pan. but I heard somewhere on this site that ford used left over pans for another kind of tranny

maybe on the door sticker it should have a code for the tranny, but I'm not sure what codes mean what.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
If you have a Gen III and look on ur driver side door and see an "X" then u have an AX4N transmission.

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Never had a tranny failure in either of my taurus's or any in the family or friends, and we beat the hell out of them..... don't know what we're doing right :unsure:

141k going strong on the ax4n...doesnt look like its been played with

·
Registered
324 Posts
My AX4S died, i got two more trans put in that had the same problem. I now have an AX4N, my fourth trans at 130k miles. Technically, i went through three transmissions in a month.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.