Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking up a spark plug wire set from rockauto but they are showing two sets fot the 3 L vulcan....

which one is for the base 2003 Taurus ?

MOTORCRAFT Part # WR6033 More Info {#1U2Z12259HA}

CAD$30.24 MOTORCRAFT Part # WR6079 More Info {#4F1Z12259AA}

CAD$36.13

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
since im on the topic i might as well figure out which plug to go with , Rock auto is so cheap ! why does the dealer charge so much?

Anyways The stock plugs are Double Platinum but I dont see a listing for that on rockauto..... I see motorcraft has one plug under platinum... but its not double

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
depends on which motor you have. The top picture appears to be for the Duratec (8th digit of vin S), and the bottom appears to be for the Vulcan (8th digit is a U or 2).

Why is Rockauto cheaper? Lots of reasons, buying power, drop ship from manufacturer warehouses as opposed to having to tie up their own capitol, low overhead. The dealer charges more because they have it in stock, or if they have to bring it in, it is typically overnighted at no extra charge. They have that advantage of being their, and the customer service for the most part is probably better too. But their overhead is higher.

As for the plugs, that depends on what motor you have too. Both setups use a waste spark ignition that works best with double platinum or iridium plugs. The correct plug is going to be a double platinum Motorcraft, but you can use the Autolite APP104 or XP104 as a direct interchange for the Motorcraft, it is the exact same plug. Just make sure you gap them correctly, don't assume they are the right gap out of the box.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
plug

Hello

Well i bought plugs today from the dealer

list price 8.25 my price 6.77

However the parts guy did not know if there where Double platinum the box from motorcraft says nothing

They are

SP-432 (AGSF32FM)

is that the double platinum one....?

the wires im going to get from rock auto, Ill just have to call them to find out what is for the vulcan engine

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It is a "fine tip platinum" made by Autolite for Motorcraft. Is an improvment of the old "dual platinum" Motorcraft but still little bit under the quality of Autolite XP (fine tip platinum - Iridium enhanced). So material of the wire (tip) is a little different - platinum mixed with some iridum for XP.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Im looking up a spark plug wire set from rockauto but they are showing two sets fot the 3 L vulcan....

which one is for the base 2003 Taurus ?

MOTORCRAFT Part # WR6033 More Info {#1U2Z12259HA}

CAD$30.24 MOTORCRAFT Part # WR6079 More Info {#4F1Z12259AA}

CAD$36.13
You need the bottom one, based on the photo. I think the top is for the Duratec.

Don't buy parts from the dealership, ever, unless you can't get them anywhere else. In this case you could have gotten plugs from Wal Mart.

Also I like Amazon because they're so easy to deal with, and shipping is free on a lot of stuff too. They have the wires you need for a few bucks more--it might be cheaper after Rock adds shipping, maybe not. Worth a look.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Hello

Well i bought plugs today from the dealer

list price 8.25 my price 6.77

However the parts guy did not know if there where Double platinum the box from motorcraft says nothing

They are

SP-432 (AGSF32FM)

is that the double platinum one....?

the wires im going to get from rock auto, Ill just have to call them to find out what is for the vulcan engine
If they sold you 6 identical then they SHOULD be double platinum.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Plugs

If they sold you 6 identical then they SHOULD be double platinum.
Those are factory original single platinum. I took mine out at 111K on '01 DOHC and they were about done. Back side about .068" gap from .054" new spec. Mine were running fine, just time for new ones. You should expect 100K out of factory originals spec plugs.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Those are factory original single platinum. I took mine out at 111K on '01 DOHC and they were about done. Back side about .068" gap from .054" new spec. Mine were running fine, just time for new ones. You should expect 100K out of factory originals spec plugs.

-chart-
Glad you chimed in because I'm curious about this. 3 of the plugs are reverse polarity so the electricity flows in the opposite direction than the other 3. I was under the impression that the factory plugs had 3 plugs with a platinum center electrode and 3 plugs with a platinum side electrode. Is that not true?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
No, the ones with reverse spark where double platinums...

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Single plat

No, the ones with reverse spark where double platinums...
That is what they say they did, but mine came with all the same single platinum. Of course I replaced with double plat.

My labor is worth more than the cost difference. :p

Which ain't much.

I guess it does not matter much what the factory did, only what the owner choses to do.

-chart-

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
taurus

so are the plugs i got from ford confirmed to be Double platinum?

SP-432 (AGSF32FM)

???

why would ford make two different plugs for the same car?

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Singles

so are the plugs i got from ford confirmed to be Double platinum?

SP-432 (AGSF32FM)

???

why would ford make two different plugs for the same car?
On some, maybe many they used double platinum on the back bank, single platnium on the front bank to save $$. The back bank has reversed polarity of spark and is harder on plugs than the front bank which has forward polarity. That is if you have a coil pack and not coil on plug. I am guessing they got cheap and found single platinum could run 100K and quit the double numbers.

Based on the one I have here in my grubby hand, it is single.

Doubles have a small chip of platinum welded on the side electrode.

However the ones you mentioned ran my '01 Sable 111K miles without a miss or any issues. Of course the ones on the back bank have the center electrode about gone so even double platinums would not help the center electrode. It would have saved the cave worn into the outside electrode.

Suggestion:
I would take an ohm meter and check the Resistance on each wire. Expect 4-5K ohms on the shorter ones, and 6-9K ohms on the longer ones. Exact value is not imoprtant, just somewhere in the range. If one is open, or has a high value like one in my set at 19K, then it should not be reused. If a wire has good Resistance and no outside damage, no reason to replace it. Silocone grease is a MUST.

Just the OLD COOT's suggestions.

-chart-

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i havent had a chance to call rock auto to confirm what set to order but if they still work maybe Ill leave it alone....

on a side note O'Riley wanted 75 dollars for the motorcraft set so rockauto still wins the price point

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Wire R

Thanks chartmaker

I do have a ohm meter, ive only used it for checking batteries and my alternator...

I dont have it in front of me but what "setting" should I have it on? and Im guessing i simply take both ends of the spark wire and hook it up to the meter...

this is what I have

Mastercraft Deluxe Digital Volt Meter | Canadian Tire
Wire resistance is typically 3,000 (3K) ohms per foot. So longer wires have more resistance. Not likely to go over 10K ohms. Most meters will have a 20K range, and since you are not looking for precision, just somewhere in the 3K per foot, +/- 30%.

Only concern usually is open circuit, or damaged insulation. Otherwise, wires should last a life time. They do not wear out as a rule. Back in the day, before silicone insulation, they rotted or the resistor wire just went open often. It is actually a piece of string with carbon in it. Early wires had small string, and small diameter insulation. Later they went with much larger string, better connection on the ends, copper ends instead of steel, and such. They now route wires so they do not lay on manifolds or rub other parts.

At one time Dodge 318's ran the wire from the dist in the back, down the bell housing and around the pan and up to plugs under the exhaust manifold. Maybe 6 feet long and around the ex pipe and under the manifold. Covered with oil and near hot pipes. Real pain. Those days long gone. We do much better today.:D

-chart-

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
i havent had a chance to call rock auto to confirm what set to order but if they still work maybe Ill leave it alone....

on a side note O'Riley wanted 75 dollars for the motorcraft set so rockauto still wins the price point
Seriously man... Listen. You aren't going to find better prices at a brick & mortar store than what's available at RockAuto or Amazon for the exact same item. And most of the time, it's not even close.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just curious... What do you mean by "reverse polarity"? I thought a plug was a plug, besides platinum, iridium, copper, etc. And if there are two kinds of plugs for our Duratecs, why is there only one part number?

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
coil polarity

Just curious... What do you mean by "reverse polarity"? I thought a plug was a plug, besides platinum, iridium, copper, etc. And if there are two kinds of plugs for our Duratecs, why is there only one part number?
Why then do we worry about coil polarity? Because the spark plugs do care which way the electrons are flowing in the high tension circuit. The spark plug has a thermally insulated center electrode (surrounded by ceramic). With engine running the center electrode runs substantially hotter than the exposed end electrode. Design of the ceramic insulator determines how hot the center electrode will run, leading to the designation of hotter or colder spark plugs. As electrons go, they love to jump away from a hot surface and fly toward a colder surface, so it is easier to drive them from hot to cold rather than from cold to hot. End result is a difference of 15 to 30 percent in voltage required to make spark "initially" jump the gap on the plug depending on which way it is going. So the spark plug prefers to see a voltage potential that is negative on the center electrode and positive on the end electrode for the very first hop of the spark. Oddly enough, this has nothing to do with polarity of the vehicle electrical system, but it is influenced by the common connection inside the ignition coil.
-------------------------------
Quote from internet source.

So, for ever engines have had positive ground battery, and some negative. Coils needed to match the battery polarity so the coil would have the proper polarity. Now the issue:
Coil packs fire 2 plugs from one coil, so one is best, and one is second best. One plug wears out faster and is more prone to misfire than it's partner.

Cars all went to negative ground in the 1955-6 models due to transistor radios. Farm equipment is another story.

If anyone cares about the source of coil polarity.

Ignition coil polarity

-chart-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts