Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to be replacing rotors on my 99 SE and was looking at the price for the Motorcraft... about $75 each...OUCH!

Do you guys use the Motorcraft rotors or which ones specifically? For $75 i can probably get an aftermarket slotted rotor.

I found EBC OEM style 10.9 discs for about $60 shipped each on the web, would these be better than Motorcraft?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does that work with all my stock hardware on a 99 SE Sedan?

Also i run stock 15 inch steel wheels, is that an issue?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i don't wanna cheap on the rotors, i wanna get at a quality set so i will probably go with the EBC or Motorcraft and some Hawk pads

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would recommend Ate rotors and pads. Had a friend with a BMW that was always warping rotors until I suggested to try Ate. Ate makes OEM rotors for BMW and Merc, but get grooved version. Grooves act like a wear indicator and also prevent pads from glazing. His rotors lasted very long time and could overcome warping. ATE -ATE PremiumOne® Rotors

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I put Napa Ultra Premium rotors on mine, they're $59 per rotor at my local Napa (they had to order them), they're the no-turn, ready out the box type, and they're great! I do have the 11.6 rotors on mine, though, but the smaller ones should be just as good in quality. I have them matched up with the Napa ceramic hybrid pads, of which seem to stop better when cold compaired to the oem ceramic pads that Ford used. Even better is that they make no noise at all when stopping.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've used DRT Sport rotors/pads on other cars with excellent results. They are on e-bay, but I'm not sure they carry ones for the Taurus-definitely worth a look though.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Pads do often warp. Cheap rotors are made of cheaper steel, but are usually thinner. They are sometimes warped out of the box. However, most warping is do to bad balancing of the brakes and cheap pads (cheap pads heat up badly, then rapidly transfer that heat to the rotor while you are stopped, resulting in uneven cooling, which in turn causes the rotor to warp.

If you go with a better pad, this is less likely to happen. High end rotors are not going to give you better braking performance under normal circumstances. I am a fan of slotted rotors though. My Aerostar is hard on brakes in general, but it has a smaller 14" wheel and drums on the rear. Small brakes on a large vehicle means lots of heat buildup. The Taurus has much stronger brakes for its size and weight.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I will probably stay away from Autozone for this one. I have been faithfully using Duralast pads and their rotors and have gotten warping with either and right now i get a nice tug when i brake hard.

I will be looking at a high quality OEM size rotor for under $70 each (give or take) and a good set of pads probably. (Looking at EBC, Hawk, and a few others)

Probablygoing to spring for Ceramic.

These are the Hawks that i found to fit the stock rotors

http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performance-HB347F-689-HPS-Brake/dp/B000COCN7M

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I always buy the cheap autozone rotors and bought the best pads they have. I change my brakes (pads and rotors) every 2 years no matter what the miles or condition of the pads / rotors. The only time I ever had problems was on my '99 when I bought the cheap pads, they left all kinds of deposits on the rotors and caused the standard "warped rotor syndrome" after about 14 months. Once I upgraded to the better pads I have not had that problem since.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well i have been buying cheap Autozone pads for awhile, maybe they are warping my rotors. I always thought that i changed the pads often enough to not have to buy expensive ones.

Definatly going to be buying a top quality set of ceramic pads no matter which rotors i spring for.
I guess i will keep an eye on whats for sale and prices at Rockauto and the web and see what i am going to buy.

Does anyone know about RAYBESTOS Part # 66442R The "Professional Grade" rotors, which are only $28 at Rockauto. I am wondering if they are above Duralasts entry level rotors, because the price is pretty good.

Also i am curious about Raybestos Professional Vs their "Advanced Technology" Rotors which are about $43 each RAYBESTOS Part # 66442

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Lol, I just reread my post and realized I goofed. I accidentally said the pads warp. Let me restate that. The pads cause the warping. Yes, if you are running cheap pads, you are far more likely to have problems with warping.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I had the cheep chines rotor on my 00 (same size rotors as your car) for 5 years and just recently replaced them when i did the Bear brake upgrade.

Use your $ on pads not rotors.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already said i am getting the Hawk Ceramic pads, i don't think i can do much better than that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts