Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy new rear drums, shoes, hardware and cylinders.

Can anyone recommend specific products (apart from Motorcraft)?

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
Not saying they are the absolute highest quality around, but when I redid the rear drums on my 95 Vulcan winter car 2 years ago, I bought a Centric kit from RA that included drums and shoes for a good price. The parts looked to pretty high quality and fit good, and the drums havent developed any rust during 2 winters in the heart of the rust belt. While I had it apart, I replaced the springs and wheel cylinders with RA parts for a few $$ extra.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Pic of used car, someone put on new shoes and they are barely broken in. Cylinder is leaking, both sides. Leaks will grow and ruin your shoes. This car 8 years old at the time. So, new wheel cylinders are needed.
And most important.
Take pics before taking anything off. Hard to remember which spring goes where and what order. Experience.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
^^+1 with Jeff
Some of the RA 'kits' make for damn good buys and while you are in there anyway might as well get to the wheel cylinders before they get to you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not saying they are the absolute highest quality around, but when I redid the rear drums on my 95 Vulcan winter car 2 years ago, I bought a Centric kit from RA that included drums and shoes for a good price. The parts looked to pretty high quality and fit good, and the drums havent developed any rust during 2 winters in the heart of the rust belt. While I had it apart, I replaced the springs and wheel cylinders with RA parts for a few $$ extra.
Thanks Jeff. Do you have any record of the exact Centric products you purchased?

There is more than one option on rockauto.

And yes, I will be changing the wheel cylinders and hardware. Wheel cylinders do have leaks.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
I doubt that the parts for my 95 are exactly the same ones as for your 04, and I did this 2 years ago....... no clue on what part numbers I ordered. Sorry.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wagner thermo quiet shoes (ceramic), there are no good new drums available (all Chinese) - try Ford NOS drums off Ebay, Carlson hardware.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
I have a mandrel that I can use to check balance. Ones on my '03 were horribly out of balance, and that likely due to thick on one side, thin on the other.
I picked the ones in the pic from the JY, same as new. Balance is right on the mark. I would recommend them. Bosch.
Rare to find good bk parts in the JY but sometimes you win.
JY is ~2 miles from where we live at the time.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi!
I found a Power Stop Evolution Ceramic Brake kit for my 1999 Taurus on Amazon.
It was less than $200 for rotors, drums, pads & shoes.
That's with the rear wheel cylinders.
That was less than the local parts store for Semi met pads & shoes, by quite a bit!
"Your mileage may vary"

Jay

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I've been using the Wagner ceramic pads in the taurus front and rear nd semi metal shoes (for sable) rear.

Got them on Amazon along with new rotors and drums. I prefer USA made brake pads but everything else is china.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The crap at Oreilys sux.the shoes wore into the drums,shoes weren't worn and still had some meat left on them.both drums and shoes are warranteed,but drums are only two years and just past that is when they shot the bed.I had to fork over more money to those thievs.Next time ,before the are shot I'll get them from amazon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts