Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which pioneer 6x8's should i get. one is a 220 watt and 75 dollars. the other is 150 watt and 55 dollars. i have a JVC 200 watt head unit.

220 watt - 75 dollar ones

150 watt - 55 dollar ones

i know most will say go for the more 75 dollar ones. but i dont really wanna spend more money then i have too. i was just wondered if there would be a sound difference useing no amp and my head unit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I went with the four ways cause they sound a lot better. If you are like me and dont care much about adding a buch of subs to blow your own or your infant childs ear drums out you will appreciate the better quality sound of the pioneer 6X8 4 ways over the three ways. BTW I just use a sony head unit. I think there is a slight difference in sound quality. I dont think it is big enough to justify spending the extra money, but hey, I like them, and I had the money to spend on them anyways. You can get the 6X8 4 ways at best Buy or Wally World. If nothing else and you just want to go with the three ways you see you are gonna find them cheapest at Wal-mart

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
If they are for the rear, go with the three ways. If they are for the front, get the four ways. B)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Get the two ways (the cheaper ones). The third driver on the more expensive ones is absolutely pointless, unless you like your dog to hear a bunch of noise. Even then it won't do any good.

The average human ear can hear frequencies of 20-20k Hz. anything above or bleow id inaudible. So why have a speaker that can go to 28k (with the addition of a super-tweeter, the driver that makes the two-way into a three-way), when you can't hear it. Also, most HU's frequency output only goes from 20-20k anyway, so that speaker will never push out anything higher.

Most manufacturers add those super-tweeters so that they can boost their max power numbers.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@May 26 2004, 11:06 PM
Get the two ways (the cheaper ones).  The third driver on the more expensive ones is absolutely pointless, unless you like your dog to hear a bunch of noise.  Even then it won't do any good. 

The average human ear can hear frequencies of 20-20k Hz.  anything above or bleow id inaudible.  So why have a speaker that can go to 28k (with the addition of a super-tweeter, the driver that makes the two-way into a three-way), when you can't hear it.  Also, most HU's frequency output only goes from 20-20k anyway, so that speaker will never push out anything higher. 

Most manufacturers add those super-tweeters so that they can boost their max power numbers.
:withstupid:

I have Pioneer two way up front and three ways in the back, then I added Polk Audio tweeters into the front sail panels.

Unless you plan to use an amp, save your money and buy the cheaper ones. If you plan to upgrade and use an external amp, then buy the more expensive ones.

·
Banned
509 Posts
If you are lookingh to get more Bass, getting these speakers wont do anything. I have heard of ALOT of people getting speakers like that, and complaining because there is less bass.. I have the 3 way Pioneers in the front. and 4 way 6x9s in the back

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx for your input...and a quick question. did you guys ever run into any problems when installin speakers? thx

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It's kinda PITA to get the speaker grill off, if you don't have any reason to know how to remove it. The Haynes manual would have you remove the rear seat and rear parcel shelf to get to the speakers, but you just have to remove the grill. Basically, just find a loose spot near the center and work the tabs out, making sure you don't bend the tabs or anything. Take out the old speakers by unscrewing them, and disconnect the wiring harness from inside the trunk. You have two options on installing the wiring: 1) cut the factory harnesses off, and either solder or use butt connectors to attach a 6" length of speaker wire with the appropriate quick connects on the ends, 2) shove pieces of wire into the existing harness so that you are just jumping off the harness. I recommend option 1, but make sure you save the harnesses, just in case you decide to sell the car and want to take the speakers out. Once they are wired, set them into the hole and screw them in. Test them out before you do that to make sure you have full sound. Replace the grill by gently squeezing it from the front and rear, engaging the tabs in the appropriate holes.

If I were you, I would go with a set of three ways in the back. Just remember, that because of the way the speakers are situated on Gen IIIs, the people in your backseat are going to hear the music much louder than the people in the front seat, since the speakers are angled forward directly at their heads...

By the way, don't buy Pioneers, they are crappy. Spend your money on a set of Infinity Reference or Kappa 6x8s...you'll be much happier, even if you only get two ways...

JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts