Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used car: 1998 Ford taurus se, VIN:'U', milege:67100. My user guide recommand me use 5w-30, But the castrol's websit recommand me use 10w-30. I'm in AL, so i want to use castrol 'SYNTEC BLEND' 10w-30. How do you think about it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
You'll have no problems using 10W-30 in AL year round. 5W-30, which flows a little better when cold, is only really necessary in colder climates, since oil gets thicker when cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Naaaa.... Flush that bad boy out and fill it with AMSOIL 10-30 and use an AMSOIL Superduty filter. You won't need another oil change until you get to 92,100 (or a year); Cool !


Just change the filter and top it off at 79,600 (or six months).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
390 Posts
Hi,

This is my take on the Oil topic.

If you engine has too many miles, 100K +, then use 10W 40 for oil burning prevention. If your engine is relatively new and has fewer miles, 10W 30 Recommended for summer and 5W-30 in winter. Also just for your info, if you have 10W30 in winter, wait till your car really warms up to drive it. Such practices will keep your engine running longer and healthier.

FTV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! I decieded use Castrol 'SYNTEC BLEND '10w-30'.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
390 Posts
Originally posted by leshan@Apr 7 2004, 09:40 AM
Thank you all! I decieded use Castrol 'SYNTEC BLEND '10w-30'.
i use the same thing w/ 10W-40 spec. Kind of expensive oil, dont you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, every time, I wait until the engine idle jarless, and then keep going, it's about 30'. That's why i chose castrol 'SYNTEC BLEND' 10w-300.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Most likely, your owner's manual warns about "severe" driving conditions such as stop and go traffic, towing and hauling, extreme temperatures and frequent short trips. These "severe" driving conditions can tear apart your motor oil, weakening its ability to protect your engine and ultimately resulting in premature wear.

That's why there's Castrol SYNTEC BLEND, the only synthetic blend engineered with Castrol conventional oil and SYNTEC molecular components. SYNTEC BLEND provides an added level of protection versus conventional oils, enabling it to withstand the extreme stress caused by these severe driving conditions.

10w-30 is thicker than 5w-30, but the oil fit for frequent short trips, So....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by FVT+Apr 7 2004, 09:42 AM-->QUOTE (FVT @ Apr 7 2004, 09:42 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-leshan
@Apr 7 2004, 09:40 AM
Thank you all! I decieded use Castrol 'SYNTEC BLEND '10w-30'.
i use the same thing w/ 10W-40 spec. Kind of expensive oil, dont you think?
[/b]
But my guide recommend me use 5w-30, think about of the weather of AL and the the age of my car, do you think whitch one is bette?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,022 Posts
I use Royal Purple 5w-30 all year round. But before I went synthetic, I would use a 5w in the winter, and a 10weight in the summer. The 10w is better at p[reventing thermal breakdown, but the viscocity of the 5w is better for cold starts. Also, 5w is better if you do alot of short trips, because it flows into the valvetrain much quicker when cold.

If you change your oil regularly, you won't have an issue with piston rings going bad, and burning oil. My family has driven several cars past the 300k mile point, and none have ever burnt oil. Actually, using a thicker oil will cause the piston rings to rub against the chamber walls without oil to protect against fricton. That will CAUSE oil consumption.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Originally posted by leshan+Apr 7 2004, 09:54 AM-->QUOTE (leshan @ Apr 7 2004, 09:54 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2004, 09:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-leshan
@Apr 7 2004, 09:40 AM
Thank you all! I decieded use Castrol 'SYNTEC BLEND '10w-30'.

i use the same thing w/ 10W-40 spec. Kind of expensive oil, dont you think?
But my guide recommend me use 5w-30, think about of the weather of AL and the the age of my car, do you think whitch one is bette? [/b]
I own a 2000 Vulcan FFV Taurus and am also in AL, Auburn to be exact, and I use Castrol Syntec 5W-30. I used it so as not to take any chances as to voiding a warranty and since then have just stayed with it. 5W-30 is fine for my car.

edit:

my vulcan has 73,xxx miles on it and has only had one major issue (cooling fans stopped working, but it was winter and the car didn't overheat)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by taurus2000+Apr 7 2004, 03:28 PM-->QUOTE (taurus2000 @ Apr 7 2004, 03:28 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2004, 09:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-leshan
@Apr 7 2004, 09:40 AM
Thank you all! I decieded use Castrol 'SYNTEC BLEND '10w-30'.

i use the same thing w/ 10W-40 spec. Kind of expensive oil, dont you think?

But my guide recommend me use 5w-30, think about of the weather of AL and the the age of my car, do you think whitch one is bette?
I own a 2000 Vulcan FFV Taurus and am also in AL, Auburn to be exact, and I use Castrol Syntec 5W-30. I used it so as not to take any chances as to voiding a warranty and since then have just stayed with it. 5W-30 is fine for my car.

edit:

my vulcan has 73,xxx miles on it and has only had one major issue (cooling fans stopped working, but it was winter and the car didn't overheat) [/b]
Hi,

I'm in Auburn too, my engine is Vulcan too, Look at here http://www.castrolusa.com/gradeCalculator.asp
By the recommending of Castrol, your choice is right. My engine is older than yours, so maybe i should use thicker oil. By the recommending of castrol i should use 10w-30. And the full synthetic oil is expensive to me, so i choose SYNTEC BLEND.
I have changed the engine oil with castrol 'SYNTEC BLEND' oil this noon

Nice to meet you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Your car is designed to run on the recomended oil. The clearances in the engine are designed to operate with a certain thickness of oil film, thus the recomended viscosity. Unless your engine is burning oil or making noise, just keeping it changed according to your use and inviroment, such as short triping and dust, should be fine. I have had several engines go over 300k on 5-30 using several brands. When I changed the head gaskets on my 3.8 with 107k the other day it still had the hone pattern visible on the cylinder walls. It dosen't use oil and I have been running Tech 2000(Wall-mart) brand oil. My '92 Vulcan with 160+k only uses about a quart between changes but always has. Unless your clearances are already enlarged due to wear, using a considerably heavier oil will cuase poor film coverage(because of inadiquate space for the film) thus immediatly increasing clearances and voiding warrenty. By the way I run in temeratures from-50 to 110+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
OOoo boy.... Did I open this can-o-worms...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by JCC@Apr 7 2004, 07:25 PM
Your car is designed to run on the recomended oil. The clearances in the engine are designed to operate with a certain thickness of oil film, thus the recomended viscosity. Unless your engine is burning oil or making noise, just keeping it changed according to your use and inviroment, such as short triping and dust, should be fine. I have had several engines go over 300k on 5-30 using several brands. When I changed the head gaskets on my 3.8 with 107k the other day it still had the hone pattern visible on the cylinder walls. It dosen't use oil and I have been running Tech 2000(Wall-mart) brand oil. My '92 Vulcan with 160+k only uses about a quart between changes but always has. Unless your clearances are already enlarged due to wear, using a considerably heavier  oil will cuase poor film coverage(because of inadiquate space for the film) thus immediatly increasing clearances and voiding warrenty. By the way I run in temeratures from-50 to 110+.
Yes, i agree with you. But the recommend of my car's user guide(5w-30) and castrol websit(10w-30) are different. Since i bought a used car, I'm not sure which one is right. and they all give only one recommending choice, wherever you are, the north and the south of the USA are the same grade. I think we need some different recommending.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by stpidhoser@Apr 7 2004, 08:06 PM
Hey dude,

where you at? i'm in madison.

anyways, i use german castrol 0-w30 with a bosch oil filter. love it.
I want german castrol too, but i can't find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Apr 6 2004, 11:39 PM
You'll have no problems using 10W-30 in AL year round. 5W-30, which flows a little better when cold, is only really necessary in colder climates, since oil gets thicker when cold.
So. which one is better, The lowese temperature of here is higher than 30F, I think.
and I think 5w-30 saves gas but not very good for the engine, 10w-30 better for the engine, so i choose 10w-30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Man, I'm a WV hillbilly that's stuck in Northern Calif.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top