Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up on my first oil change pretty soon. what kind of oil should I use? full or semi synthetic? I'm thinking full? and what brand has served you all the best?

·
Registered
116 Posts
full if u have them money the semi is like regular oil, also better be castrol,or mobil
non or that valvalineor penzoil or quacker state crap,,

but even halvaline is alright,

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Wow...hit spellcheck.

I used to use only conventional Valvoline 5w-20 in my car, but I switched to semi-synthetic after I hit 70,000 miles. I'm now using the Valvoline Durablend semi-synthetic oil. I really like the stuff. My car runs smoother and quieter, and for the first few days after you change the oil, all you smell is peanuts...I would highly recommend either the Durablend or Valvoline's full synthetic line, Synpower. You appear to have the Duratec, so use the 5w-20 as well. It gets to the top of the engine much faster than 10w-30, and is much better for our twin cam engines, unlike the black sheep vulcans (just kidding)...

JR

·
Registered
109 Posts
Want to know everything there is to know about oil and filters? Go here:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...=1;DaysPrune=30

at Bobistheoilguy.com

These guys are obsessed with choosing the right oil and filter. They take used samples after many thousand miles, mail them to a lab and get results on how the wear is.

I asked them for recomendations for my cars.... a '00 Sable 24 valve and an Acura RL. They spoke highly of Chevron, Texaco and Penzoil, as I recall if you use non-sythetic oil. Like Mobile 1 if you want Synthetic. Also, a bunch of those guys sell Amsoil brand. They like Motorcraft filters, along with STP and Wix and hate Fram..... and these guys cut open their used filters and check them out.

That web site has other good info, too.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Only use 5w30. It's what's recommended by the manufacture. Valvoline Durablend or Castrol Semi-syn are the best. Don't waste your money on full synthetic unless you have a good filter like Napa Gold or K&N. They will last longer than most other filters. If you buy a cheap filter, you'll need to change it every 3k miles regardless how good the oil is.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by mykej27@Jun 10 2004, 04:50 PM
Only use 5w30. It's what's recommended by the manufacture. Valvoline Durablend or Castrol Semi-syn are the best. Don't waste your money on full synthetic unless you have a good filter like Napa Gold or K&N. They will last longer than most other filters. If you buy a cheap filter, you'll need to change it every 3k miles regardless how good the oil is.
And if you get a Napa Gold or K&N filter, how long will they last in comparison to a regular old oil filter? Would you say they are worth it in you opinion?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I use Amsoil 0w30 presently. Full synthetics are the best, semi synthetics are not worth the time IMHO. If I were not to use a full synthetic I would be using a regular dino oil and changing it at 3k miles.

You can run the full synthetics longer but still need to change out the filters. The full synthetics will give you more HP, better MPG, easier engine starts and less engine wear.

I boils down to what you can afford, how you are using the car, and how long you plan on owning the car.

You can't beat the Motorcraft filters for the money. Look at the amount of intake holes the Motorcrafts have compared to the other brands. There are as many on them as the higher priced K&N or Mobil One filters.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has seen these before, but Napa just came out with a "NASCAR" series oil filter. It's supposed to have some sort of "fins" on the inside that trap all the particles to the outside wall of the filter.

Anyone have any experience with this?

JR

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by SEL2000@Jun 10 2004, 01:29 AM
I'm coming up on my first oil change pretty soon. what kind of oil should I use? full or semi synthetic? I'm thinking full? and what brand has served you all the best?
I would recommend full synthetic oil with a weight of 5W-30. A Mobil 1 oil filter is also recommended along with synthetic oil.

You may want to flush your engine first before filling it with synthetic.

Amsoil series 2000, Mobil 1, and Valvoline Synpower are good choices.

Don't know about Pennzoil Pennzane, Quaker State Synthetic, Redline Performance Synthetic, Kendall GT-1 synthetic, and Havoline Synthetic.

I do not recommend Castrol Syntec. In my opinion, it is not a true synthetic as it is not made in the same manner as Mobil 1 and Amsoil motor oils are made.

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/articles60.htm

However, I do recommend Castrol GTX if you were hunting for a good conventional oil.

DO NOT USE ANY ENGINE ADDITIVES, like Slick50, Greased Lightning, DuraLube, ProLong, and etc. They usually do not provide any benefit. Some additives use PTFE teflon, which is a small and soft particulate solid. They can clog the oil passageways in the block and hinder the engine's ability to self-lubricate.

The fact that even DuPont, the creators of teflon, do not recommend the use of PTFE in your car's engine should say something. - Reinhart

·
Registered
352 Posts
Find out what is recomended for YOUR particular car. If its 5-20 semi.synthetic,I would recomend using that. Ford developed the Duratec around 5-20 for a reason. They were guesing at what the new requirements for motor oil were going to be at the time the were developing the engine. Dont know if they were right or not. BTW the only oil Ive been able to find in 5-20 semi synthetic is motorcraft oil. Thats what I use.Savvy?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Ford did not design the Duratec around 5w20 oil. 5w20 oil is all about CAFE numbers period. The Duratec came out in '96 with 5w30 in it's crankcase. If you look in your manual you will see that 5w30 and 10w30 are both also listed I believe.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I use Motorcraft 5w30 oil in the 87 and 89, and 5w20 in the 02 (that's because it goes into the dealership and I do the oil changes/maintenances on it)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by stodge@Jun 13 2004, 11:10 AM
What would you recommend for a 2000 SE Vulcan with 46,000km? This is in Ottawa, so hot and humid summers and brutal winters.

Thanks
I'm subject to the same weather patterns here in Ohio and I have always used Valvoline full synthetic - 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer (or maybe that's backwards... can't remember right now... :unsure: )

Anyways, I've had great luck with it - car runs smooth as silk! B)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by kodak_jack@Jun 13 2004, 09:20 AM
The book for my 03 recommends 5W20. That isn't a number you see in your average store. Why that instead of 5W30?
Is that the only weight oil that is listed? There should be a chart that gives the spread of various oil weights that are recommended.

5w20 is used to increase the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) for Ford. I wouldn't put it in my motor.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
In the SHO, I use Mobil 1 0W-30 in the winter, and 5W-30 in the summer. I change the oil and K&N oil filter at 5000 mile intervals, or 6 months (which almost always coincide.) Other oils I would consider using in the SHO are Valvoline SynPower and AMSoil.

For the SLO, I use Castrol GTX conventional 5W-30 year 'round, with only Motorcraft filters, changed at 3000-3500 mile intervals. Castrol GTX typically outperforms most conventionals, and happens to be one of the cheapest non-generic oils available.

The Falcon gets Castrol GTX Hi-Mileage conventional, which keeps oil consumption down. I also tried Pennzoil Hi-Mileage, but it turned out to be a waste of money. After the upcoming engine overhaul, I will be running Mobil 1 or Valvoline SynPower 10W-30 with a K&N oil filter.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 12 2004, 06:54 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has seen these before, but Napa just came out with a "NASCAR" series oil filter. It's supposed to have some sort of "fins" on the inside that trap all the particles to the outside wall of the filter.

Anyone have any experience with this?

JR
Did you know that all of Napa's filters are made by Wix? And Wix is a product of Dana Corporation.

The Nascar Spin filter works good. It's quality is very close to the Napa Gold filters. It lasts longer, because the filter spins. Regular oil filters life is usually reduced due to the disruption of the oil flow. And, the bypass does not kick in until it's in between 7k to 12k miles. I've spoke to a couple sales reps that say that the filter can last much longer, but they don't want to disclose this due to liablity reasons. No filter should be used longer than 12k miles no matter how good your oil is.

Jaguar uses WIX filters and their scheduled oil changes are at 10k miles between oil changes, but of course they use full synthetic.

Napa will be coming out with their version of semi-synthetic high mileage soon. It's actually Valvoline oil, but it's much cheaper.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A few years back before my dad retired he sent me a bulletin that he got (he worked for Ford). It basically said that any car made after 95' they were recommending they use 5w-20. They never released it to the public, only the dealers. I think it's stupid. I don't even use 5w-20 in my 2002 MPV (it's what's recommended). It's almost like running greasy water through your engine.

Anyway, I only use Castrol Syntec or Mobil full synthetic. I am going to stop using Fram filters because of some stuff I just read about them. Here's the site that really changed my mind. I don't use the regular Frams, I use the Tough Guard and they are better, but not by much. They are probably the reason I get valve train noise every morning on start-up. The write-up is done by some guy off the street, but other than the spelling errors all over, I found it pretty good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts