Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I bought 4 new tires for my 2003 Taurus sel DOHC. The front tires were completely bald in 2 months (A couple hundred miles) the rear were fine. I know my struts are gone the ball joints are too. When I hit a small bump the wheel sway freely. Also to drive straight i have to turn the steering wheel twice to the left.
What should be done 1st? Ball joints or struts? Besides a wheel alignment of course.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
My opinion is ball joints because if they are worn a lot they can pop loose and strut and tire will buckle back or out and ready screw up your car and possible cause an accident. If they do the ball joints the struts are just another ten minutes a side if they don't do the ball joint removal on the car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree with auto mender. The ball joints, if you don’t have the money to do both, have to be first. Instead of just struts, you might look at the strut and spring prebuilt assembly. When I bought mine, they were actually cheaper than the strut alone and easier, faster, and cheaper to install. You don’t need to compress the spring, nothing. Very easy if you’re doing it yourself or having a shop do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I have now 3 G-4's and had but sold one. All are subject to sway bar links. None have had outer tie rod get loose. My '03 Sable wagon bought used had inner with slack. Rust inside it so it had been in water. Outer OK. My sedan 190K sttill on OE tie rod ends. Still tight. So I do not see the tie rods a weak point on G-4's. Sway arm links fail by 100K on all mine, and daughter's Buick Taraza by 40K falling off. It is not a Ford issue. Fortunate, they are relatively easy to replace. For me at least. Lot depends on kind of driving.
-chart-

·
Registered
1998 Ford Taurus SE
19 Posts
Malaki, I would have to agree with Automender12345, get the ball joints repaired ASAP. Like he said, you don't want it to collapse and cause damage or an accident. Then you can get the other suspension and steering linkages checked out and replaced as neccessary. If you are on a budget, you can replace the bald tires with used tires while waiting for the money to get some new tires plus an alignment. When you finally get the alignment, make sure you get a REAL alignment. I'm talking caster, and camber, included. Not just toe-in/out, as so many shops do these days. Keep us updated, and let us know how you make out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts