Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Band pass is a dual 10" Jensen and the other is dual 10" Rockford Fosgates. I have both but don't know which one is better. Any help?

·
Registered
183 Posts
a regular ported that is tuned right is much better than a bandpass box. bandpass boxes make s***ty subs sound good

·
Registered
101 Posts
All depends on what kind of music you listen to. Bandpass gives you sort of a "loose" sound utilizing not alot of power....good for rap. A sealed box gives you tighter and more accurate bass, takes a bit more power.....good for rock music. I used a dual-sealed box in my bull and it slammed. I listen to everything, metal, techno, some rap...all sounded great. Are you using this in your wagon or the sedan?

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's going in my sedan. I listen to mostly rock but enjoy some of the rap and hip hop when I need a bass fix or eminem when I need some angry music.

Also, I assume that the RF speakers are better than the Jensens? The bandpass isn't mine so I don't know what kind of quality it is.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't know what model speakers you have, but speaking from popular experience, Fosgates are better than Jensens, HOWEVER, I used to have a Jensen 12" DVC sub in a sealed enclosure in my car, and it was great. I liked it much better than my friend's fosgate 12" in a bandpass box.
I personally don't like bandpass boxes, as I think they tend to sound really sloppy and don't hit very well. As was said, for loose bass, they are good, but if you like rock, you want tight bass, and you can't beat a properly tuned ported box. The ported box allows for the same sound levels as a sealed box at lower power levels, thereby decreasing the amount of work the sub needs to do and decreasing the chance of damage to the sub or the amp.

If I were you, I would plug both into an amp and listen to the quality. See which one you like better. Also, what kind of box are the fosgates in? Sealed? Ported? Bandpass? If the fosgates are in a sealed or ported box, I would personally go with them, but if they are in a bandpass box, I would say to hell with the whole system and custom build a sealed or ported box.

Hope this helps!
JR

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The RF's are in a Rockford Fosgate ported box. I bought it assembled and assume the box was designed for the speakers. That's a good idea to hook them both up and listen. Why didn't I think of that? :homer:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fosgates rock but get the POWER hx2. they are awesome. i have a 12" punch hx2 in my taurus and it hits loud enough for ppl to ask me at a stop light what i have.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've already got the RF's. I bought them in '94 for a '67 Pontiac I was going to build.

·
Registered
183 Posts
then i would say definietly go sealed. 1.cu is bought right. the sealed box will give u a 'tighter' sound. which is better for rock then a ported or bandpass.

·
Registered
64 Posts
just use the fosgates. if they came from fosgate in those boxes, then i am sure they are deigned for them. different speakers perform better or worse in different enclosures. look at the JL-W7. It sounds much better in a ported box than a sealed box, because it was designed for ported. i STILL need to get my system set up, damn i am lazy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
lol JL w7 ya if u have over a grand to drop for 2 subs w/o an amp. W7's actually sound badass sealed too. i got my fosgate in a ported and its loud but not very accurate, bass is not ass tight as in my sealed box

1 - 12 of 12 Posts