Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides fuses on the equipment itself (including inline fuse), is the megafuse the ONLY fuse an amp could possibly blow in a Gen4?

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Whats your problem? You blow a fuse? IIRC fuse 22 or 24 idr which but it controls the radio, windows and most of the icp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked all the fuses that I could think of. Just replaced the megafuse (just in case), and checked all the under the dash fuses that might be applicable. The windows and head unit are working fine...there just isn't power coming to my system. The cabin speakers and subs are all amps, so there is no sound.

I have wire running back to a cap, then to two amps...and the cap, nor any of the amps are on. I figured if the cap went bad, that the power would just bypass it and go straight to the amps. I also ruled out the remote wire because even though the amps are on remote, the cap should still come on. But alas, I have NOTHING.

I read a bunch of treads about a similar issue dealing with the RCU, but since all my stuff is aftermarket and amped, the RCU shouldn't be a factor. Am I correct in assuming this?

So with all of that being said, what could be the problem (keeping in mind everything had been working perfectly prior)...?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you verified the signal wire for the amps is live? Where do you get the signal wire from? Do the amps turn on?
Neither of the two amps nor the cap are turning on...no lights, no nothing! The remote wires go to both amps from the head unit. So with the head unit being on, you'd suspect the remote wire...but with the cap not coming on then the remote wire isn't the problem. I did check and make sure all the remote connections were solid though!

·
Registered
191 Posts
did you use the stock power wire that went to the rcu and head unit. if so check fuse 17 in the fuse box under the hood. its a 20A

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you use the stock power wire that went to the rcu and head unit. if so check fuse 17 in the fuse box under the hood. its a 20A
I did use the stock RCU power wire for the head unit...but the head unit comes on just with no sound. But I will check that fuse in the morning just to be sure!

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
if the amps aren't coming on but they used to work prior.. Then you either have separation in your remote wire somewhere or you popped a fuse. Go check all the fuses again under the dash. If your using a DMM to inspect the fuses make sure your checking both sides of the fuse.... because if you only check one side.. that one side might have power but the other side might not because the fuse is popped. Id start with fuses again. Also do you have an inline fuse on the power wire to your cap and 2 amps? If so check and see if that fuse it popped first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also do you have an inline fuse on the power wire to your cap and 2 amps? If so check and see if that fuse it popped first.
I checked the inline fuse and it didn’t LOOK blown. It always seemed like that would be the first one to blow and would cause all the symptoms. I think I’ll replace it just in case. I don’t have a DMM handy, so I’ve just been visually inspecting the fuses.

If the power wire were to have somehow shorted, wouldn’t the FIRST thing it would do is blow the inline fuse?

Plan of action so far is to check fuse 17 and to replace the inline fuse…and if neither of those work, then I’ll try replacing the power wire.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I checked the inline fuse and it didn’t LOOK blown. It always seemed like that would be the first one to blow and would cause all the symptoms. I think I’ll replace it just in case. I don’t have a DMM handy, so I’ve just been visually inspecting the fuses.

If the power wire were to have somehow shorted, wouldn’t the FIRST thing it would do is blow the inline fuse?

Plan of action so far is to check fuse 17 and to replace the inline fuse…and if neither of those work, then I’ll try replacing the power wire.
Buying power wire is gunna do anything for you. Fuse wise it will be 17 under the hood or 22 under the dash or the inline fuse on the power wire. check your remote wire, looks for brakes in the wire. Also check the remote wire's connection make sure they're solid. Take out the CAP and just hook up to the amps. Cap is pretty much junk anyways. Using a cap is like using a band-aid on a gash... your still bleeding volts. Also with caps you have to charge them up before you can use them.. So if you just hooked it up with out charging it then it will give you the same symptoms your describing atm. Anyways try it without the cap. IF none of the above works they your amps are all blow which I find hard to believe.

Fuse guide here page 176 to 180

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO5TAU/~MUS~LEN/41/05tauog4e.pdf

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I FINALLY figured out the problem...it actually was the inline fuse!!! Even though the fuse was COMPLETELY intact, it was actually blown. It had absolutely no signs of being blown, that's why I wrote it off!

I appreciate all the help and info guys!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts