Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 and it has that ridiculous flip up and over to 45° center console. I had a line on a fleet style console but the seller’s idea of a 7 condition and my idea of a 7 were quite different. I want a center console for multitude of reasons:

• Real cupholders
• Plan to cut so I can mount a CB and scanner
• Mount switches for heated seats and secondary horn
• Mount AC outlets and USB, powered from inverter
• articulating mount for tablet that will be connected to rear camera, possibly front camera, torque pro/FORScan, and in car entertainment.

Questions if anybody knows:

From what I understand I can fit any gen 3 or gen 4 Taurus or Sable console in. Yes/no?

Are there other consoles that would mount in to the same bolts? I’m pretty handy with a rotary tool so I don’t mind trimming off up front. Ford 500? Continental? Lincoln LS? Crown Vic?

If I use a gen 3 floor shift console, will it mount/mate right up to the dash under the radio? Looking at the manual it appears it might but it doesn’t show if the center console finish panel is different.

It looks like there is a rear bracket that gets attached to the area where the four bolts currently hold down the center seat and a new bracket has to be added in front (Floor mounting bracket where screws go in from the sides of the console). Does that sound right to you folks?

There are some things that I can experiment with but, having almost no use of my dominant hand, it’s a bit harder to get to a junkyard and just try to fit stuff. So, I’m asking a lot of questions.

As always, appreciate everyone’s expertise and time.

Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a specific console that will bolt right up, it was on the gen 3's With a column shifter. If you go to the yards, you're bound to find one, it's just 4 bolts to change it out.

I was guessing that the third gen console would bolt right up using the blue circled section.

It has been a while since I flipped the current center console out but thinking about it now it looks like yellow highlighted area is the current bracket or place for it and the red highlighted is the additional one needed to pick up.

While I sort of like that it mates right to the car, I never cared for that cockpit appearance and would rather have a newer or at least different console. Hoping to find out which other ones are bolt in replacements.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I was originally thinking of using one of the fleet style centers but now that I want to add radios, some switches, an inverter, and a place to mount a mount for a tablet, I’m going with a full size. The opening for a shifter isn’t a problem as I will probably add the radio, scanner, and some switches or a hidden coin box there.

Any ideas of what else bolts right in? Do you know if the 500/Montego centers use the same mounting points (I have a lead on one but it would be shipped and it is a no return item)? An LS (though I would assume all of those would be leather covered)? Two of the local yards just added about 20 Taurus and Sable vehicles today so I might be headed there tomorrow.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I doubt the 500/Montego would look right, or fit well. Wider center console, and its squared. Whereas the Taurus is rounded, and thinner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
TollKeeper
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing