Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm outfitting my middle aged '02 Taurus with a new starter and need some advice on what brand starter to get. I'm tempted to get this reman Motorcraft, the fourth one down in the orange remanufactured section..

reman Motorcraft

For $123 that seems reasonable for a reman OE. If not this one I'll probably be going for a reman of another brand so why not go OE?

The other reman options I'm seeing at the car stores are...
Napa brand
Bosch
Denso
Driveworks at Advance
Carquest
Duralast
Valucraft
Ultima
Bestest

Should I go with the Motorcraft or one of these? $123 sounds almost too good although I really don't know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought the TYC brand starter motor new for 67 bucks (order total) off of rockauto for my car near the end of january this year and is still working perfectly. I can vouch for tyc, they make some good parts.

P.S. My Taurus is the same exact engine and year as yours.

·
Super Moderator
7,828 Posts
Last 3 starters I bought for my fleet over that last 10 or so years were AC Delco Professional Series. 100% new. Bought from RA. Reman parts are hit or miss (mostly miss, IMO).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm outfitting my middle aged '02 Taurus with a new starter and need some advice on what brand starter to get. I'm tempted to get this reman Motorcraft, the fourth one down in the orange remanufactured section..

reman Motorcraft

For $123 that seems reasonable for a reman OE. If not this one I'll probably be going for a reman of another brand so why not go OE?

Napa brand
Bosch
Denso
Driveworks at Advance
Carquest
Duralast
Valucraft
Ultima
Bestest

Should I go with the Motorcraft or one of these? $123 sounds almost too good although I really don't know.
Definitely
Definitely

reman Motorcraft

Napa brand
Bosch
Denso
Driveworks at Advance
Carquest
Duralast
Valucraft
Ultima
Bestest

Definitely go new and buy local in case you need to warranty out later. I've had fair luck with a new Duralast from Autozone. Luckily it's an easy swap, at least on the Vulcan.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Been getting new from Autozone with lifetime. My wife would go through one ever 18 months. Weird.
Got new replacements each time under warranty. I still have my OEM in the '99 Taurus wagon 298K

·
Registered
3 Posts

reman Motorcraft

Napa brand
Bosch
Denso
Driveworks at Advance
Carquest
Duralast
Valucraft
Ultima
Bestest

I wouldn't go reman either. I was told by a reman supplier here in Detroit that there can be issues, and although it's easy to swap out starters (if you have a car ramp) if you have a warranty, who needs that...

I put in a new starter from O'Reilly Auto Parts 4 years ago in my 1999 Taurus LX and haven't had a problem since. Can't remember the brand, but I didn't pick the cheapest option at O'Reilly, even though the cheapest option had a "lifetime warranty". "Lifetime warranty" seems to mean "keep replacing it until you get a good one".

I didn't buy Motorcraft since it was overkill....

·
Super Moderator
7,828 Posts
Been getting new from Autozone with lifetime. My wife would go through one ever 18 months. Weird.
Got new replacements each time under warranty. I still have my OEM in the '99 Taurus wagon 298K
You are replacing the starter every 1.5 years because AZ electrical parts of any kind are ABSOLUTE CHEAP JUNK. I prefer to buy the highest quality parts I can so I dont risk cheap junk parts leaving me or my wife stranded in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts