47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the front end I am re-doing:

Control arms
Bearings
stablizer links
struts
ball joints

Is there any bolts/nuts where it is critical to not reuse them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The only single use one is the axle nut. I saw tires flew out in a turn, when that nut was reused prior...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are talking the rear axle nut?

I don't see how the front coming off can lead to the wheel coming off with the hub?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I just completely updated the suspension on my 2000. Struts, ball joints, sway-bars, end-links, bushings and hubs. The only bolts I replaced that didn't come with the new parts were the pinch bolts for the struts. As much torque as those things are under I simply didn't want to risk it to save a few bucks.

The one thing I see missing from your list is sub-frame bushings, unless you were including them as well when you said "bushings". With all the work you're doing, I would strongly recommend replacing them. I did not replace the sub-frame bolts on my car, but I also live in Texas where corrosion and rust are not an issue. If you live in a northern climate you might want to replace them. I know a lot of people have had issues with corrosion on them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am actually in Florida and pretty much zero corrosion. Can't the subframe bushing be changed after the fact? Do they cause handling problems?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I am actually in Florida and pretty much zero corrosion. Can't the subframe bushing be changed after the fact? Do they cause handling problems?
The sub-frame bushings are what keep the front and rear sub-frame where they should be. Ideally you would use a solid bushing like the aluminum ones from SHO Source, but the factory rubber bushings isolate the sub-frames from the unibody to reduce NVH providing a quieter and more comfortable ride. As the bushings wear the sub-frames can shift around a little bit. Being that the control arms mount to the sub-frames, I think you can see how this negatively affects handling and ride quality. It's not a big deal to do them after the fact, but replacing them should be considered routine maintenance.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
You are talking the rear axle nut?

I don't see how the front coming off can lead to the wheel coming off with the hub?
The front half shaft nut preloads the bearings, squeezing the inners against a "crush spacer". If the nut comes off, the bearing inner races are free to come off the spindle. I know of only one case personally. That was a parts car where the half shafts were removed. Then they towed the car to mow grass and a front wheel fell off.

However, I have reused the nuts, had a Ford Garage reuse a nut. If the nut did back off (hard to believe) the wheel would be loose and drag the brakes long before any case where the nut would unscrew all the way off.

However, I had a former son in-law who had my old 88 Taurus and he had a tie rod end unscrew and fell off. He was in a gas station turning around to pump gas and it just fell off. Can you imagine how bad that drove before unscrewing all the way. Ruined the front tires also. There is one in every crowd.

-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts