Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Taurus GL 6 Cylinders U 3.0L EFI Vulcan. I have the oil pan removed, surfaces cleaned, and oil pan gasket ready to put on. I just don't know where to put the RTV Sealant. I attached an image from under my car. If someone can circle for me where to put the sealant I'd really appreciate it. I've read on a few places to put sealant on the 4 "corners" only.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Installation

1. Clean the gasket surfaces on the cylinder block and oil pan.

2. Note: Prior to applying sealer, clean sealing surface with Metal Surface Cleaner F4AZ-19A536-RA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M5B392-A, to remove all residues that may interfere with the sealer's ability to adhere.

Note: When using silicone sealer, assembly should occur within seven minutes after sealer application. After this time, the sealer may start to set-up, and its sealing effectiveness may be reduced.

Apply a 6 mm (1/4-inch) bead of Silicone Gasket and Sealant F7AZ-19554-EA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G343-A4 to the junction of the rear crankshaft main bearing cap and cylinder block and junction of the engine front cover and cylinder block.

3. Locate oil pan gasket to oil pan with sealing bends against oil pan surface and secure with Gasket and Trim Adhesive F3AZ-19B508-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M2G52-A.

4. Position oil pan.

5. Install oil pan retaining bolts. Tighten to 10-14 Nm (89-123 lb-in).

6. Back off all bolts and retighten.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've read that before. I don't get anything from that. That's why I hoped someone would just mark on the picture for me.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Apply a 6 mm (1/4-inch) bead of Silicone Gasket.... to the junction of the rear crankshaft main bearing cap and cylinder block and junction of the engine front cover and cylinder block.

Looks like at the front and rear of the pan where the crank exits.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Standard application of silicone sealer for any oil pan installation.

AT THE CORNERS where the rear main bearing cap meets the engine block and at the front where the timing cover meets the block.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hard to see at first, but "feeling" with your fingers will reveal the ridges where the different parts meet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts