Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a couple spare gen 3 hoods lying around in my garage, and I though I might as well have some fun playing around with some fiberglass. I need to find that foam people use as a mold to get complex fiberglass shapes. Does anyone know what kind of foam it is exactly and where I could buy some? Thanks.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
Some use "Great Foam". That expandable crap you use to fill holes in your house.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Don't use expandable foam, it's too hard, and has way too many air gaps.

Daniel, go to Home Depot or Lowes, and go into the insulation department. They sell a hard foam in sheets, that's green in color. It's used for insulation on houses with block walls. I've used that before, and it works great as a mold.

After you've shaped it and put the fiberglass mesh/resin in many layers, and you've got enough strength, use a knife and a rasp to get rid of the bulk of the foam, then use some turpentine to dissolve what's left of the foam.

JR

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't you know it, I turned on Spike TV's PowerBlock for the first time in months and Muscle Car is on and they're making fiberglass body panels. They used the green foam for flower arrangements; I'll see if the local Micheal's hobby store has some.

·
michelle
1,364 Posts
JR's got it right. That's typically what we use for the racecar when making little things, like the air box. That foam works great for it.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
That's what you use. Remember that you'll need to put some wood glue over the foam as the resin will eat into it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts