Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have a 2001 Ford Taurus LX sitting in my garage right now, and in my opinion, it's taken a bit of abuse. Or rather, neglect?
It has about 100,000 miles on it, and as far as I know, the transmition was rebuilt about a year and a half ago?

Im seventeen, with very little car knowledge. My car needs it's water pump replaced and Im positive the leak is what's caused the squeaking I hear when the car is on. I believe it's coming from some belts or pulleys, but I have no way of knowing which ones?

Also, I got that thing going around in the mail for the Ford check up thing? that special that's going on for $30 and its basically diagnostics&tire rotation&changing fluids& stuff like that?

Honestly, there are a few things wrong with this car, I'm sure. I have a job, and Im just looking for a general direction to start with for this Taurus? Can anyone help me out, maybe some estimates, educated guesses, whatever? Im not even sure what to be asking honestly.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Alright, I have a 2001 Ford Taurus LX sitting in my garage right now, and in my opinion, it's taken a bit of abuse. Or rather, neglect?
It has about 100,000 miles on it, and as far as I know, the transmition was rebuilt about a year and a half ago?

Im seventeen, with very little car knowledge. My car needs it's water pump replaced and Im positive the leak is what's caused the squeaking I hear when the car is on. I believe it's coming from some belts or pulleys, but I have no way of knowing which ones?

Also, I got that thing going around in the mail for the Ford check up thing? that special that's going on for $30 and its basically diagnostics&tire rotation&changing fluids& stuff like that?

Honestly, there are a few things wrong with this car, I'm sure. I have a job, and Im just looking for a general direction to start with for this Taurus? Can anyone help me out, maybe some estimates, educated guesses, whatever? Im not even sure what to be asking honestly.
Hello!

The water pump will start leaking out of the weep holes when it fails, the bearing might be causing the squeak. You'll need to pull the serpentine belt off and check all of the pulleys by hand. Idler and tensioner pulleys tend to fail often, I personally prefer to change the tensioner as an assembly, instead of just the pulley, but other people like to replace the pulley.

They'll look at the car and tell you what is wrong, perhaps. But they'll charge you royally to fix it.

Do you have an OHV or DOHC engine? If it's an OHV engine, you might want to check the camshaft synchronizer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts