Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Taurus with an AX4N and I am getting P1742 and P1744 codes. The car will act like it has a manual transmission when cold, so the torque converter is lock on. I need to replace the TCC solenoid as I was quoted $600 to replace it at a tranny shop.

I need to know where the TCC solenoid is. I have a pic courtesy of powertoolman's post on fixing a tranny, but I am not too sure if one of these solenoids are the TCC.

Is the TCC solenoid one of the "Analog Solenoids" in the pic?

Thanks,
Ian

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Here's a drawing showing the location. Be sure to get one that has the proper coil resistance. '96-'97 are different than the '98-'99. Also be sure to check the wire loom. The connector that is sticking straight up out of the tranny under the intake hose may be corroded too.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
If the solenoid or associated valve is on, the TCC will be on and it will stall when put in gear.

Think: manual trans, dump clutch at idle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was wondering the same thing myself. I don't think that the TCC solenoid is easily accessed. The next time I change the oil in my mom's car, I am gonna take a close look. Her car sputters/idles weird when you first put it into drive or reverse...like the torque converter doesn't know what to do.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
The sputter when going into gear is likely a sticking IAC, a vac leak, or other easy to fix problem. VERY unlikely it is a trans problem.

TCC can be changed by removing the tranny side cover. Can be done at home with hand tools. The hard part is getting the cover off. Lowering the driver side subframe some helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jeff K, Can the fron trans cover be removed without lowering the subframe? I want to do some more chekout before I try replacing anything in the trans, but I would like to know for future reference. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Extended question re: TCCS replacement

I am new to this forum, but I have been following this thread for a while. My son and I are working to replace the TCCS on his 1999 Tarus GL with an AX4N transmission and the Vulcan 3.0 V-6. We got all of the side-coverbolts out and had transmisson fluid spill out of it. With all of the electrical parts under this cover, I wouldn't expect there to be any fluid. Is this common, or an indication of a bigger problem?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Why not? The oil is electric isolator and also cools the coils...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry, I don't know much about automatic transmissions. I wasn't aware that it is an electric isolator. I thought that transmission fluid would short out any of the electrical components located under this cover.

Is it possible then that the transmission problems that my son's car is experiencing could be related to the engine/trans control computer rather than the DCCS or any other component under the side cover? At this point, having to remove the cover, I was planning to replace the TCCS, the three shift solenoids, and the pressure control solenoid since the cover isn't the easiest thing to remove.

Does this seem reasonable or not? Comments would be appreciated. Also, if there is a way to test each of these solenoids before unpacking the new parts from the dealer. Is it as simple as whether or not there is continuity through the solenoid?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I would apply 12V from battery on them and see if they work (move).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts