Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My sister has a 96 Taurus with 197000mi. (Yeah, I've never seen it before either). She has a wiper/washer issue. On start-up, the wipers go into a wash cycle with washer and wipers running for the set period of time then stop. Sometimes it will go into the cycle while driving. I replaced the wiper/washer/turn signal switch..no change. I determined it was some kind of a timer issue with the timer receiving a false signal when powered-up. Called Ford and apparently there is a general electronics module that controls all sorts of things on the car including the wiper/wassher cycle. It lists for $435 but they can't tell me where it's located. I'd like to try a salvage one as I see from other posts that other users have had success with these. Does anyone know where, on the car, it is? under the dash?, under the fuse panel? driver's seat? is it inside the headliner? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
on my 1999 it's directly behind the fuse box under the drivers side dash. Should be three connections with lots of wires for each connection going into it. There are two snap release brackets on either side(be careful or you will break them) and a small bolt at the top of it. Should be the same on your 96. I picked up a GEM at a salvage yard for about $10.00.
Another thing you will want to do while your there is pick up two sets of relays from 2 different same year cars. The small relay box between the fender and the battery, that should hold the relays for the wipers but mine were not marked so I replaced them all. Get 2 sets in case you happen to get a bad one, the salvage yard I was at didn't even charge me for them.
When I get off work tomorrow I will take a picture of the GEM and relay box if you have trouble finding them. Could be in a totally different place on a 1996 though. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No problem, let me know if you need anything else. Forgot to mention, you will have to remove 2 nuts holding the fusebox in place, slide the bottom of the fusebox out far enough to clear the two bolts, then pull straight down, it will take some force to pop it out, after it's out you will see the clips that hold it in place on top. work the fusebox so you can see behind it and there is a small bolt along with two plastic clips that hold the GEM onto the back of the fusebox. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it and it was so easy to remove I took off two more just to be on the safe side ($20 for all three). Installed the one with the least mileage and the problem was fixed. Gave my sister the other two as spares. Thanks for the guidance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts