Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My friend has a 2002 duratec engine in his taurus and the other day his CEL came on.
I hooked up my code reader and I got the code p1400.

I see lots of posts here and I have been reading that I might want to look at/replace the DPFE sensor...

now I cant seem to find it ... does anyone have a picture of what Im looking for ..

I did search on here first but could not find a location of it..

its a 2002 taurus dura

Thx

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (gskills @ Jul 4 2009, 08:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737006
Hello

My friend has a 2002 duratec engine in his taurus and the other day his CEL came on.
I hooked up my code reader and I got the code p1400.

I see lots of posts here and I have been reading that I might want to look at/replace the DPFE sensor...

now I cant seem to find it ... does anyone have a picture of what Im looking for ..

I did search on here first but could not find a location of it..

its a 2002 taurus dura

Thx[/b]
It's entirely possible that even if you replace the DPFE sensor, it will not make the CEL go off. Most likely, the EGR tube is clogged. There is an orifice in between the two hoses that come off the EGR tube and go to the DPFE. The DPFE works by sensing differential pressure [DP in DPFE]. If this hole [orifice] gets plugged by carbon, the DPFE sensor can't sense pressure differential and throws a code. While the sensor may be bad, it's most likely the EGR tube. Good luck getting the EGR tube off. They usually seize on. If you are in the north, I pity you. Salt corrodes everything.

I just ordered a replacment EGR tube to replace the one I broke when I removed the intake manifold while changing my AC evap core and heater core. The tube wouldn't budge. I soaked it with some liquid wrench penetrant and I'll try again to remove what is left tonight.

Anyway, the code that your friend's car is showing isn't serious. At the most, on the highway your gas mileage may suffer a couple of MPG and you may not be able to pass an emmission test if your state requires it. Other than that, it doesn't hurt anything to drive with it the way it is. If you just have an extra $50 or so, you could replace the DPFE and see if it goes away. You might even be able to get somebody to email you the specific troubleshooting proceedure and you can diagnose the problem yourself if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. I don't have the service manual for this Taurus/Sable model year.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys

Im going to take a look at it next week as I have to work all weekend.

Ill see if I can inspect the tubes that might be clogged..

Also if i can find the sensor for cheap I might just have him replace that as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (gskills @ Jul 9 2009, 07:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738325
Thanks for the replys

Also if i can find the sensor for cheap I might just have him replace that as well.[/b]
Just bought one at Advance Auto...$34.99. Auto Zone had it listed online at $29.99 but when I got to the store they wanted $52.99...

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
QUOTE (Glen Weldon @ Jul 10 2009, 05:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738421
QUOTE (gskills @ Jul 9 2009, 07:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738325
Thanks for the replys

Also if i can find the sensor for cheap I might just have him replace that as well.[/b]
Just bought one at Advance Auto...$34.99. Auto Zone had it listed online at $29.99 but when I got to the store they wanted $52.99...
[/b][/quote]

You know that Advance price matches right? Go get it at $29.99.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts